Chapter Two: Girl Meets Rock Bottom

I made my way back to my crappy studio apartment, angrily yanking my mail out of my mailbox before going upstairs. I tossed my keys into the bowl beside the door and flopped down on my couch, slamming my head against the back of it.

This wasn't the plan. None of this was the plan.

I was supposed to go to college, make friends, become a teacher and do what I love. Instead I was a barista at Starbucks and now I'm not even that. I'm unemployed, friendless, emotionally scarred, which to be fair wasn't exactly a new thing for me, but back then I had people I could turn to. I'm completely alone now.

I groaned, sitting up and beginning to go through my mail.

"Junk mail, junk mail, rando catalog I most certainly did not subscribe to, a..." I trailed off talking to myself when I came across a very specific envelope. It had Urgent stamped on it, and said it was from the IRS. "No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no."

I began ripping the envelope open, running over every possible scenario for how my life could get any worse...

We regret to inform you that due to an insufficient amount of payments, the Sunset Apartment Complex is being forclosed upon. All residence have exactly two weeks to remove their belongings and find a new place of residence-

I screamed, throwing the letter across the room and beginning to bawl my eyes out.

My life thus far: Attacked, thrown off course, abused, treated unfairly, unemployed, and homeless, and completely and utterly alone. I have nothing left.

I leaned forward with my elbows on my knees, sobbing into my hands when I caught a glimpse of something through my fingers. I looked up, wiping my eyes to see that it was a bright red flyer.

You're Invited!

The Class of 2019 is hosting its five year reunion at Abigail Adams High School in New York City! Stop by on December 1st at 7:00 PM for refreshments, live music and the opportunity to reminisce about the good ole days.

Don't forget where you come from!

Join us in the Gymnasium!

Our class's Five year reunion. Has it really been five years since we graduated High School? Five years since I've seen or heard from Riley, Maya, Lucas, Zay...or Farkle?

Don't forget where you come from!

Maybe that's just what I need right now. The girl I was when I was a teenager was wise, and hopeful. She knew she could get through anything, she had a bright future ahead of her. Maybe if I go back to New York, see the only real friends I've ever had, and remember where I came from, I'll be able to get my life back on track.

I got up, rushing to my room and grabbing my laptop so that I could buy a plane ticket to New York City. As I was doing this, I grabbed my cell phone and dialed Dad's phone number.

"Hey, Skip. What's up?" He answered.

"I just got the invite for my class's Five year reunion." I told him.

"You're coming?!" He asked excitedly. I hadn't seen my Dad in forever either.

"Yup. Booking a plane ticket as we speak."

"Oh, that's so great! I've missed you kid, I can't wait to see you...." He trailed off, "I'm not the only one you know." I sighed.

"I know."

There's a reason I hadn't seen everyone in so long. They...they didn't know. Not my Dad, or my friend, not even Farkle or Lucas. I didn't tell them what happened with my professor or that I was a barista taking online classes. I certainly wasn't going to tell them that in two weeks I would be homeless and that I was now unemployed.

I was the strong one. I was the one who had been through the rough patches and came out on top. I was labelled Most Likely To Succeed in the Yearbook and now...look at me now.

"We all miss you. I know you've probably been busy, molding young minds and all that but I wanna hear about how things are going down there in California. You haven't told me anything." I swallowed, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Well, there...there isn't much to tell, I mean. I'm graduated, going to get a teaching job, you know..."

"Which, remind me why I couldn't come to graduation again?" He asked. I sighed.

"Bad weather. The ceremony got postponed, so Graduation would've been during that big conference you had to go to." I lied.

"Right, right. Well I'm sorry I missed it. I'll make it up to you, I swear."

"Don't worry about it, Dad. It wasn't that big of a deal." I heard him scoff.

"That big of a deal? My little girl graduated from college, that's a huge deal!  You're becoming the accomplished young woman your Mom and I always dreamed you would be." My heart twinged with pain as my Dad just said the one thing that could make everything worse. I hadn't even thought about the fact that on top of it all, I'm letting Mom down.

"Thanks," I said, trying to keep my voice steady, "Listen, the next flight to New York leaves in a couple of hours, so I gotta go finish packing, but I'll see you when I get there, ok?"

"Yeah! I'll come pick you up at the airport."

"Great." I said. "Bye Dad, love you."

"Wait, Skip-" I didn't wait for him to finish his sentance. I just hug up and burried my head in my hands again.

Is this what rock bottom feels like? Have I really reached a point in my life that everything is so bad that I've truly experienced it all and I can't get any lower? 

And if that is the case, will I be able to pull myself out?

I wiped my tears away, replacing my fear and sadness with determination. So what if this is rock bottom? Do you know what that means, when you've hit your lowest point?

It means there's nowhere to go but up.