Chapter Four: Girl Meets Violent Hugs

The second Dad pulled into the parking lot, I recognized where we were.

"No way!" Zay exclaimed. I looked at my Dad with raised eyebrows.

"What?" He asked. "It was on the way. I figured you'd appreciate the nostalgia."

"Where are we?" Vanessa asked.

"Topanga's." Zay told her. "This was our prime hang out spot back in the day. We did our homework here together after school every day."

"Aw! That's so cute!"

"Lets go in!" Zay jumped out of the back seat, running around to open Vanessa's door. I took a deep breath.

"What's wrong?" Dad asked. I shook my head, glancing at him.

"What are you not tell me?" I asked, looking at him. "Who's in there waiting for us?"

"Nobody!" He said. "I mean, Topanga might be in there because she works here, and Katy stops in from time to time but whoever else is in there is a mystery to me." I shot him a look.

"You're a terrible liar' I told him. He nodded.

"Yeah...well, that runs in the family." My stomach dropped at his knowing look. "Come on, Skip. You really think I can't tell when you're pretending everything is fine?"

"Dad-"

"Save it, kid," He said, "You're an adult. I know you can handle your own problems. I just...I hope eventually you can tell me what's going on." I sighed, nodding. "Now lets go inside and meet...nobody in particular."

"Mhm." HE smiled and I opened the door, climbing out of the truck. Zay and Vanessa were already inside, and I found myself getting incredibly nervous. I walked down the stairs, memories and emotions flooding back as I saw the Topanga's sign on the window came into view. I took another deep breath before walking inside.

Before I could see what was waiting for me, or even react, I was nearly tackled to the ground in a bone crushing hug. It only took the slightest glimpse of long brown hair to figure out who it was.

"Skipper Jackson!!!" Riley screeched in my ear. "Oh how I've missed you!"

"I've missed you too, Riley." I said, putting my hands on her shoulders and lightly pushing her away from me. When we saw each other's faces, both of our eyes widened at how different the other looked.

"I didn't think it was possible," She said, "But I think you got even more gorgeous!"

"Me?" I asked. "What about you!? What the crap happened, Riley Matthews! I mean, not that you looked bad before but...wow, Riles."

"We grew up." She said, shrugging.

"Are you the only one here?" I asked.

"Well, I'm the only one of the group that's here. However, there is someone who's been dying to s-" She was cut off as she was shoved out of the way and I was crushed into another hug.

"Oh gosh..." I laughed. "What is it with Matthews' and violent hugs?"

Mr. Matthews pulled away, smiling at me.

"Skipper!" He said excitedly. "My mini me!"

"Not so Mini anymore." I told him. Not anything like Mr. Matthews any more either.

"So...did you do what you always talked about? Are you a teacher? Do you have some nutball kids of your own making old jokes and causing problems that you solve through historical metaphors?" 

"Not yet," I said, "I just graduated college, so I'm certified, I just have to find a job. I'm not a History teach though, I'm English,  so if I'm using any metaphors it will be through grammar and short stories." His eyes widened. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"The English Teacher at Abigail Adams just retired!" He exclaimed. My eyes widened. "I could put in a good word for you! And you being an alumni must have some influence on their decision."

"I don't know," I said, "I mean...I live in California-"

"Just...promise me you'll think about it?" He asked. I nodded.

"I promise." He smiled, slowly backing away from me. Riley replaced him again.

"I think he missed you most of all," She said quietly, "Which isn't that hard considering he sees everyone else nearly every day." I rasied my eyebrows.

"Is everyone else really back in New York?" I asked. She nodded.

"Yup. Maya is selling her artwork to gallery's all over the city, Lucas is doing what he loves as a veterinarian, and Farkle..." She trailed off. "Well, I'm sure you know what Farkle's been doing." I looked down.

"We actually haven't talked to each other since we broke up." I told her. Her eyes widened.

"What?" She asked. "But...Sarkle was meant to be."

"Yeah, well...Sarkle was separated by three thousand one hundred and twenty three miles." She furrowed her eyebrows. "Farkle gave me the exact amount at least twenty times."

"Well, maybe this is your opportunity to reconnect." She said. I shook my head.

"I don't know, Riles. Its been years and he's...a billionaire. I'm still looking for a teaching job."

"That doesn't matter!" She exclaimed. "Think about it!" She grabbed my head, smushing my cheek against hers. "Maybe this is the moment, five years after your break up, that fate has brought you back together to remind you both that you belong together! Maybe its your Destiney!"

"Its good to see some things never change." I said, sidestepping away from her. "So where is everybody else?"

"Work," She answered, "Maya has a gallery show next weekend so she has to finish up some of her pieces, Lucas has been dealing with a sudden flea outbreak, and Farkle is always busy, being the CEO and all." I nodded.

"What about you? What have you been doing?" She asked.

"Well, I'm here part time, but the rest of the time I'm an animal rights activist." I smiled.

"That is unsurprising." I told her. She smiled.

"Well, I hate to cut this little reunion short," Zay said, pulling Vanessa over to us, "But we really should be getting to my parents' house." I nodded turning back to Riley.

"You're all coming to the reception tomorrow?" She asked.

"Of course. That's why we're here." I told her. She nodded, hope flashing in her eyes.

"Then I'll see you guys tomorrow, with everyone else and we'll all finally be together again." I smiled, nodding.

"Yeah," I said, "See you then."