Chapter Eleven: Stay

Lucas proposed to Riley, she obviously said yes, and then we drank champagne underneath the lanterns. It was beautiful, and...I felt a billion times better. I always feel better when I'm with my friends, but it was more than that. I finally got everything off my chest and saw that the world didn't implode because my life doesn't look like I thought it would. I am disappointed in what my life looks like, but the people who love me are going to love me regardless of where or what I am.

The night ended, and instead of going home with Maya, I shared a Taxi with Farkle.

"So...you're going to tell him? Your Dad?" He questioned. I nodded.

"I kind of have to. The lying has gone on too long." I stated. "But thank you for being the first, and making the load a lot easier to carry."

"Of course. I will always be there for you, you know that."

"I know. And even though I have done a pretty crappy job of it as of late...I'll be there for you too." He nodded.

"So...how long are you in town?"

"Just a couple more days. I have to go back to California and get my stuff moved out of my apartment." He nodded. 

"What are you going to do afterwards?" I shook my head.

"Honestly...I have no idea." I answered. "And that's scary, but if I've learned anything about being an adult, its that you never have the slightest idea what you're doing." He nodded.

"Well um...can I offer a suggestion?" I met his eyes.

"Farkle-"

"Come back to New York." I just looked at him for a second, processing what he was saying. "All of your friends are here, Skipper. Your Dad's here, you can teach at Abigail Adams. What's keeping you in California?"

"Is that really why you're asking?" I questioned. He furrowed his eyebrows.

"What do you mean?" Just as he asked the question, the cab pulled to a stop in front of my house. I opened the door, getting out, and Farkle said something to the driver before getting out himself and walking me to the door. I stopped before going in, turning to face him.

"Are you asking me to stay because there's nothing for me in California, or are you asking me to stay because..." I trailed off.  He sighed.

"Its a little selfish," He said, "But yeah. I want you to stay. We all do, we miss you."

"I miss you guys too," I said honestly, "But I'll have to think about it."

"Yeah, of course. I don't want you to do anything that wouldn't be in your best interests." He said. I smiled.

"Well, whatever I end up deciding, I'm going to do a better job staying in touch, because if I've learned anything from the past five years...a life without Farkle Minkus is no life at all." He smiled.

"I gotta go, but...I'm glad I got to see you. I'm glad I could help." I nodded, wrapping my arms around his neck and pressing my lips to his cheek before hugging him. He hugged me back, wrapping his now muscular arms around my waist.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"You're welcome." I pulled away from him, smiling before opening the front door and stepping inside.

"Goodnight, Farkle."

"Goodnight, Skipper." I closed the door behind me, leaning back against it and closing my eyes. I opened them when I heard footsteps and Dad came around the corner from the living room.

"Hey, how'd it go?" He  asked.

"It went...really well." I said. "But um...we need to talk."

~~~

I sat Dad down at the kitchen table and I told him everything. He was upset that I didn't tell him, understandably but mostly, As I knew he would be...he was angry.

"So, he was arrested?" He questioned. "There's nothing more than can be done to him?" I shook my head.

"If it helps...after I punched him in the face I reported him. Once the news got out, it turned out I wasn't the only one so, needless to say, he'll be in prison for the rest of his life." He nodded.

"Good." I nodded. "I just...why didn't you tell me? Its been five years, Skip, why wouldn't you say anything?"

"Because I knew how you would react, and I just couldn't bring myself to do it." I said. "After a while, it felt like it was too late, so I just kept lying to you. I knew that you would be angry that a man of authority, a man I trusted, tried to use his power against me."

"You're dang right I'm angry." He said, shaking his head before meeting my eyes. "Why now? Why did you choose now to tell me after keeping it a secret for Five years?" I sighed.

"Because...I knew the minute Farkle saw me he would know, and I wouldn't be able to lie anymore." He nodded.

"I should've known he had something to do with this." I nodded. "Did Farkle say anything else?" I looked down at my hands in my lap.

"He asked me to stay in New York. He wants me to take the job at Abigail Adams." Dad's face lit up. "That doesn't mean I'm going to."

"Well, why not?" He asked. "You're losing your place, you don't have a job anymore, its perfect!" I shot him a look. "Come on, Skip! What is there to be skeptical of? What do you have in California that you can't bare to be separated from?"

He had a point there. There is nothing left for me in California, and I know that so...why am I fighting this? I mean, my Dad is here, my friends are here, I'd have a job and a place to live so why shouldn't I come back to New York?

"Just, sleep on it. You don't have to come to a decision today." He pointed out. "At the end of the day, I'm your Dad and I just want to see you living a life that makes you happy...wherever that may be." I nodded.

"Well, I'm exhausted, its been a...pretty emotional day, so I'm gonna go to bed. Night Dad." I kissed him on the cheek before making my way upstairs. I kicked my shoes off, pulled my curled hair into a ponytail, changed into pajamas, removed my makeup and them flopped onto my bed. I stared at the ceiling, the events of the day coursing through my head.

Should I really stay in New York? There are a lot of reasons why I should, but one of the most important ones to me is that after all these years, Farkle asked me to. I mean, I know we're obviously friends, and we're always gonna be friends, but just seeing him after so long has me wondering if we have some unfinished business because...

I still love him.