Chapter 1

I couldn’t understand what was happening, couldn’t? I wouldn’t.

I have to be numb or else I won’t survive the pain the disgust was too much for me to handle. The scream felt trapped building an immense pressure throughout my body straining the fibers of my body wanting to stop what was happening but having no control. My sobs filled my ears; it was the only thing I could hear, it was pitiful, heart wrenching, desperate.

“Please make it stop, p-please,” I choked out through the pain, wanting to shut myself off but I was too highly aware of everything that was going on. No one was here to help me through this no one was here to help me through this hell. I wasn’t meant to be alone.

I crumpled within myself falling to the ground; the earth was cool against my heated skin.  Rolling on my back I felt the pain lessen, my entire being pulsed. I stared up above, the moon’s light radiated tranquility…but I was fully captured by the darkness.

Letting out one final piercing scream my body contorted, bones snapped in new positions and finally I was free of this torture.

Crouching low to the ground I focused on my breathing and that was the only things that kept me sane in my new found state. It felt strange to be in this new body, already I felt connected to the animal inside of me, and I felt powerful, invincible.

Lifting my head up from my paws I took in a long deep breath and relished the scents that filled my nostrils. Looking up at the moon I silently thanked her for her gift and howl in joy. The moon’s glow brightens and then I’m off running through the forest enjoying the feel and the strength of running with abandon and having strong legs to carry me near or far. I begin to leap through the forest. I come across a magnificent river and am taken away by the new scents. I spent the night flying through the forest, discovering the power of being an animal and experiencing freedom for the first time in a long time. I’m free…free…

The morning sunlight hits my face and I wake up lazily enjoying this feeling of peace. It was one crazy night but now that it was over I felt relief. I made it through the night and for that I was thankful. Sitting up I brought my knees up to my chest, realizing I was naked but it felt right being bare surrounded by nature and gazing at the sun’s powerful light.

A breeze picked up making me shiver as it caressed my back, something tugged on the back of my mind. An unsettling feeling made me apprehensive to my surroundings what once looked like a tranquil forest now looked to be a forest filled with mystery lurking in the shadows.

“What happened? Why was I running?” I spoke quietly trying to find an answer. My memory was a blank, almost as if it had been erased clean. What happened last night before I shifted?

Panic seized me with a choke hold. Why can’t I remember anything? What happened?!! Why was I in the forest? Standing quickly I looked around for anything, something. The clearing offered no evidence; the tall trees not seemed imposing, closing in on me. Where did I come from? There didn’t seem to be any sign of civilization anywhere.

One thing I was certain of, this forest was not familiar.

Taking deep breaths to calm my nerves, I shifted into my wolf and began to trace my scent. By the smell of it I ran amuck. There were traces of me everywhere which made me smile but at the same time it made my task harder. Cantering around the perimeter I tried to find a scent that led the way out. Finally on the other side of the clearing I could smell the path leading out of the forest. After a while of following the trail I realized I had been going in circles. Each path led to a dead end and I began to grow frustrated. Stopping to regain my bearings I tried to catch whiff of the oldest scent, nosing around I finally caught one, it was faint but it was the only option I had. At a slower pace I began to make my way through the forest. The further I went the less dense the forest became. Maybe I wasn’t as far from civilization as I thought, as soon as that thought crossed my mind the forest again because thick with tress and overgrown roots. The scent was getting faint, I began to panic. What if it ran out before I could find my way home?

I paused trying to remember something, anything. I must have a home, but where is it? Did I have family? Nothing sparked, nothing connected in my mind.

Exhaling sharply I began searching again; the scent will only fade the more time I waste.

Something clicks on my left and I spin around quickly ready to charge but I see nothing there. My senses are on high alert as I peer into the shadows, but nothing moves. Closing my eyes I sniff and focus on hearing breath…there it is.

The heart beat is strong but it’s sporadic revealing its fear.

I growl low in my throat and wait for the thing to move. Sensing no movement I grow louder and step closer furious that someone would try to hide from me, that could only mean one thing it was an enemy.

Preparing to launch myself, finally a figure appears and he strikes me as familiar. He stands up slowly and too quick for me to move out of the way he shoots me.