Chapter 3

Tory said my reading experience wouldn't come in handy if I ever left the castle grounds, but when I got home, I would have to tell him how absolutely, positively, undeniably right he was.

I'd spent years hiding from other people, and I'd read thousands of books, even ones in the darkest corners of the library and Besnik's chambers, but I still couldn't think of anything as I looked at the fairy in front of me. My mind was as empty as my stomach.

"What's up?" they repeated slowly, holding out their hands. "My name is Jo. Are you hurt? Where's your shirt, man?"

"Is this-" My voice cracked. I half-cleared my throat, resulting in an only half-strained voice. "Is this a riddle? Like the sphinx? You won't hurt me if I answer this right?"

"I'm just asking what's up," Jo said, confused. Their eyes darted from side to side, like they were scanning the room for someone saner than me or at least someone who was actually wearing a shirt. "I didn't really think it would... be a hard question."

"That's the whole question? 'What's up?'" I repeated.

"Yes."

My heart was throbbing less now. Apparently, the riddles they used these days were easier than they had been in the ancient ages. That, or this fairy had realized that I was an idiot.

Using one finger, I pointed to the wooden ceiling. "Up is that way."

Jo slapped their forehead, then ran their fingers through their red locks. "No, dude, I'm just asking if you're all right. How are you? How's it hangin'? Are you safe? Do you have a boo-boo? You look like you just died."

I furrowed my brow. A fairy asking if a Ki was okay when all they had ever done was eat us? I may have been a terrible, clueless prince, but I wasn't a complete idiot. Fae were a lying folk. This one was either delusional or trying to lead me down a dangerous path until the Solstice was over and the Light wasn't there to protect me anymore.

My lips stayed closed, but I nodded tersely.

"Okay, good to know, finally." They exhaled and looked around the room, hands on their hips. "So, you're a greyskin, does that mean we're in Ki? Where are the others? Am I the first one back?"

I raised an eyebrow. Back?

"The other fae. On Earth. America. California." They were looking at me in utter disbelief. "I mean, where do you think we've been for the last thousand years?"

Caleefornya? What absolute nonsense was this person going on about? Delusion. That was what it was. This fairy was mad and weird and must have been cast out from the others.

Their green eyes widened. They ran over to me and, before I could scoot away, they poked at my chest, toward a constellation symbol that I found in a moldy old book in Besnik's office. "It was you! You brought me back, dude!"

"Dood," I replied lamely.

"The sign of the protector on the Day of Light!" The green in their eyes was vibrant and pulsing, like piles of little drunk frogs. "You've called me back, dude! Ohmygodohmygodohmygod, you're my new emo son!"

My heart had died a spastic death long ago, but this person was annoying enough that I could feel my princely instincts start to stir. Even if I wasn't Tory, a fairy had no power over me, and I would at least look confident when faced with one of our oldest enemies. It was bad form to be a quiet, poke-able prince.

I got to my feet and lifted my chin, purposefully making my voice deeper. "I don't know what you're talking about, dood, but you can't eat me today. Get away from me because I'm getting my wife lady and leaving. Now."