Chapter 15

Note: This chapter contains a reference to a deadname. It is used out of ignorance by someone who has not seen the character since they came out, and the speaker automatically accepts correction when made aware of the character's true gender and name - bc even evil villains can grant basic respect with regard to names and pronouns! But I understand this may still be bothersome, so please take care of yourself. And please feel free to message me with any questions/concerns you may have!

Thankfully, we weren't attacked by any dark fae on our way out of Senya's Tomb. Jo had outfitted every one of us with an iron necklace.

As soon as we reached the outside world, every prince and princess who had been stuck in Somnia left to return to their homeland.

All except one princess, who –much to my happiness – decided she would not run away screaming and would come to Ki with her prince. We only had one horse, so it took two stupid days of walking, but I felt like collapsing when we came over a hill and finally laid eyes on the dark, imposing stone castle of Ki. Bats flying all around it, eerie yellow torchlight emanating from inside.

My lips quirked up.

Home.

The sun was setting. They were probably just having dinner, a fact that made my poor shrunken stomach weep. Once I got there, I didn't know if I would ever stop eating with my family.

"It's like a dream," Pippa said, awed. She leaned her head on my shoulder. "I didn't think I'd ever see it again, but it looks exactly the same."

One of the other Ki that had come back with us stopped walking too. He stared at it with a blank look, but his voice sounded like he'd just lost a childhood pet. "...it really does."

I stared at the ground awkwardly. No one had ever taught me how to console people who had been trapped in a dream world and were now transported back to a real world where everybody they'd known and loved was dead. That wasn't something I'd read in any story, so I stayed silent.

Me saying anything would only make everybody in the whole world feel worse. All of us were probably distantly related, and anything involving distant relatives was something I tried to avoid. Comforting and guiding them through their transition back to the real world could be Tory and Pa's job. I was more than happy to step back, take care of Mini, and spend my time poking squishy fat baby cheeks with my love human.

As we walked down the road, Pippa's grip on my hand grew tighter and tighter. Be emotionally aware. Maybe something was wrong. Maybe she was nervous.

I nudged her with my shoulder, silently asking her what was wrong.

She shrugged. "I'm nervous. I still don't know if they'll like me. But now that I'm here, I can't wait to see them again.

"They're going to be really happy," I assured her. "They'll probably cry a lot. They're really good at crying."

The servants started hollering through the windows the moment they caught sight of our group. As we passed the stables and the barracks, people came out and cheered. Jo absorbed most of the attention, thankfully.

I loved the people. I did. But I'd been gone for far too long, and right now, I just wanted to get home and eat.

When we all reached the front doors, they automatically creaked open. I shut my eyes, waiting for Tory's body to tackle me and squish the life out of me.

But no one came. There were no voices like there had been just a few minutes ago. Did they all die of excitement? That would certainly put a damper on our reunion.