CHAPTER THREE: Face Your Demons

Next morning, a yellow bus took a begrudged and disappointed Avish to school.

He didn't pay an ounce of attention in class. Just kept gazing out the window the whole time, chin cupped in his hands, wondering about the man in black. Whether it had all really just been inside his head, maybe that was why he hadn't shown up the next night. His homework he had done, so at least Avish was safe in that respect. But whatever his teachers taught, he had no idea. His English teacher, Mr. Mathur, called him a few times before he snapped back into attention. 'What happened, child?' Mr. Mathur asked. 'Seen a ghost recently or what?'

Maybe, Avish thought, would be a fit reply. Meanwhile, Mr. Mathur went on about a whole rant as to how literature can be the most dangerous weapon used in war.

Roy approached him numerous times, but Avish didn't feel like talking. Roy was bewildered at his friend's eccentric demeanor; just yesterday on the phone, he had seemed so eager to tell him something. What had happened?

Avish didn't eat his lunch. He didn't write a single sentence in his notebook when the teacher dictated.

He didn't care.

His teachers knew he was a good kid, so they let him off, seeing as how disoriented he looked.

During dispersal, Avish hurried toward his bus, not caring to even say goodbye to Roy or any of his pals (of which were few any way; four, in the whole world, to be exact) while other children did the same leisurely, chittering and chattering and eating ice-cream and what not.

But along the way, he tripped over an extended leg and stumbled down hard. It all happened too quickly, too unexpectedly. It was like the ground rose up to his face and slam! The metallic taste of blood corrupted his mouth.

'Oops,' said the boy who'd deliberately caused Avish's fall.

Another taller, more muscular boy patted the leg-extender smartly on his back. 'Well, what do we have here?' he cajoled.

'Leave me alone, Raghu,' Avish said, standing up. Not furious, not in pain; just plain annoyed. 'Please.'

'Did you hear how he just squealed?' Raghu glanced with amusement at his fellow Boogies, who guffawed while blocking Avish's way. ' "Please". Like a puppy. And what if we don't leave you alone, puppy? What are you gonna do then?'

Raghu thumped his large hand on Avish's rucksack, moving around Avish, like a wolf appraising a sheep. This was how it always went down. Avish was kind of used to this by now. He kept his eyes down.

'Look at me when I'm talking to you!' Raghu raised his voice a ton.

Avish had always regretted being a weakling. He was short for his age, relatively thin, and not particularly intimidating. Not at all intimidating, in fact. It was at moments like these that he foolishly wished he had the strength of Hercules so he could just . . . but of course not.

Sighing, Avish looked up.

And his eyes sparkled.

The man in black was standing a few meters behind the Boogies, under a huge, shady tree.

Other students were ignoring him - or, as Avish knew better, they were downright unable to see him.

A timid smile touched his lips. Avish presumed he was safe.

The man in black is here.

'What're you smirking at?' Raghu bawled. 'What's so funny, eh?'

The man in black is here.

'Your face,' Avish said, unworried, unafraid of the consequences now.