A Wolf Awakens

Blood was pumping through my ears. Fast and hard. 

My lungs expanded and released every deep breath a took. 

Teeth were scraping against my lips. Claws dug into the dirt. Massive paws taking in the cold earth. 

Everything within a 2-mile radius stung my nostrils with anticipation. 

The hunt shall begin. 

^Picture of Tiana Barton

A sudden urge to vomit woke me up from my comatose state. I needed a minute to grab my barrings to find the nearest bathroom in the strange house I woke up in. I founded the nearest sink and spilled what I had into it. 

After I was finished, my mouth stank of upchuck and flashbacks of the various different shots we had last night. I turned on the faucet and took a look at myself in the mirror. Red, dark eyes and unkempt, tight curls. I let out an audible groan as I laid my head in my hands. The light in the bathroom was way too bright for my poor soul. Why'd I let her talk me into this again?

I heard a shuffle from outside the door and a slight knock, in the mirror I could see her devilishly proud eyes glaring back at me. "Well, good morning, sleepyhead." Amelia poked her head through the door and took in my hungover state, "You look terrible." 

^Picture of Amelia Pann

I quietly rolled my eyes and muttered back my response, "What's with you drinking on Thursday nights? Don't you usually have class on Fridays?" 

"Gotta get back into the practice before classes start," She shrugged. 

I checked my watch again for the date, "You mean today?" 

"Exactly!" Amelia bounced into the bathroom, "Call it a year-long celebration because your girl getting her degree this year!" She sang a happy tune as she shoved a towel and a rag into my face. 

"Fucking alcoholic," I muttered thoughtlessly as I begrudgingly took her items.

"Take a shower, you'll feel a lot better. I promise." I didn't argue with her. I wanted to do whatever it took to feel better at this point. I slipped the shirt I wore off and onto the floor, going over to the shower to prepare to warm the water. Amelia hovered behind me, lost in thought before she spoke again, "You taking it easy again this semester?" Her tone had completely changed. 

I nodded quietly and sighed, "I am. I just can't handle being a full-time student right now." 

Amelia quickly replied, "Oh, yea. I totally get it. School is super stressful," another silent pause, "We don't want you getting stressed out again." 

"Yea.." Another haunting response. When I graduated high school, I started having these moments of unconsciousness. I ended up in random places and had lost so much time. Doctors said I was simply suffering from stress-induced narcolepsy, but I know there's something else going on.  Amelia was the one to find me in one of my first blackouts. She said was simply laying there in the middle of the woods, not moving, barely breathing. She had to be in therapy for a couple of months because of it. 

It's always hard to talk about it, even with my best friend who's like a sister to me. It was scary for me too. What if I just blacked out one day, and never woke up. A cold shiver ran down my spine at the thought of it. I tried to change to subject to something more normal. "I'm taking Research 214 and Supernaturals 208 this semester so shouldn't be too hard." 

Amelia lightened up too, "I've heard about Supernaturals. Heard it's an easy but still interesting class. You gotta teach me about the theories of ghosts and aliens they teach you." 

I chuckled, "Ame, you're about to get your doctorate in Physical Therapy, do you really wanna learn even more useless stuff?" 

"Please, I wish I had time to take more electives like Supernaturals." She propped herself on the counter before finishing, "I have to take the boring stuff like Chemistry and Physics and Kinestesiology." 

I sarcastically mocked her, "I get to finally answer the most important question of our generation: Team Edward or Team Jacob?" We both laughed. We all knew the answer was Team werewolf any day. 

The movement of steam caught my eye as it floated above us and out the open door. The shower was hot and ready. Amelia saw it too, "Alrighty, love bug," she hoped from the counter and gave my cheek a little pinch, "I'll let you get ready. I'll be gone by the time you get out," She grumbled, "Last semester of 8am's ever." The door shut behind her and I was finally left to my own devices. 

After a long enough shower, I stepped out and felt so much better just like Amelia said. I took a look in a mirror and didn't look like death. I found my SheaMoisture and started to detangle and moisturize my jungle of a head of hair. As I started to slick my hair back into a puffed ponytail, I was pumping myself up for the day. First-day jitters, that's okay. Everyone gets nervous sometimes. I began humming to myself, proud of my hair cooperating today. I exited the bathroom and headed to my room in the house we shared. Who better than to split the rent in a two-bedroom than with my best friend? 

 Who better than to split the rent in a two-bedroom than with my best friend? 

^Picture of Tiana's Room

I took in the carpet under my toes and it felt warm and comforting. I found my phone on the nightstand and looked at the time. 8.37 am. I need to be headed out soon. 

I quickly got dressed and headed to the kitchen to grab some type of breakfast before I left. I opened the fridge, grabbed an apple and picked up a packet of minute oatmeal to cook in a plastic cup to take with me. Portable breakfast. I hit the start button on the microwave and went to go back to the pantry. 

Before I could make it, I had a blinding pain through my skull that stopped me in my tracks. My vision went white and I felt super dizzy. I lost my balance and reached out for anything to stabilize myself. Unfortunately, all I managed to do was trip over my own feet and stumble to the ground. I started wheezing in fear. I couldn't see anything and I couldn't hear anything. "Amelia!" I called to an empty house in a desperate attempt she still happened to be around. I was scared and by myself. I think I'm blacking out again. But this time it's different. This time I'm still awake. "Amelia!" 

TIANA.

I suddenly heard a voice. I didn't recognize it, but I would take anything right now. "Amelia?" I heard the voice again, but I knew it wasn't Amelia.

AWAKEN.

Before I could really process what was even happening. I lost consciousness.