[27] Sympathy for the Devil

{The Spy, Part II}

Alice couldn't sleep that night. Every time she closed her eyes, Dart appeared in her dreams and started chomping on everyone she cared about. First, Dustin lost a hand. Then, her mother lost a foot. Dart was halfway done chewing Steve's kneecaps off when Alice's alarm clock blared.

In a sleep-deprived stupor, she slammed the button to stop the noise. For one blissful moment, she forgot why she set her alarm for so early on a weekend. Then it all rushed back: Dart. Mews. Raw meat. Wild goose chase.

Alice's chest tightened and the scar on her palm stung again. It was still cold to the touch. Alice ignored the cool sensation by putting on a pair of winter gloves.

She packed her backpack with essentials for baby demogorgon hunting, including a bottle of hairspray and a lighter.

Alice met her brother and mom at the breakfast table, not surprised to see how puffy Mrs. Henderson's eyes were.

"Still no sign of Mews!" Mrs. Henderson sniffled, loading eggs and bacon onto Alice's plate. "No one in Loch Nora has seen her."

"Don't give up yet!" Dustin said. Alice noticed his fingers crossed under the table as he said, "Maybe she's by Maple Street?"

"I hope so," Mrs. Henderson said. She began wringing her hands. "Maybe the Wheelers have seen her..."

The doorbell startled her.

"Who's here this early?" she asked, standing. "Did somebody find Mew-Mew?"

"That's just Steve," Alice explained in between bites. "He's going to, um..."

"Drive us around town and try and find Mews," Dustin interrupted. "He's giving up his whole Saturday for us."

Mrs. Henderson beamed and clasped her hands together.

"How sweet!" she said. "Let me go let him in. He should eat with us."

Dustin and Alice shared a look. While their mom was at the door, Alice leaned over.

"Steve's not dense enough to let it slip about Dart, is he?" Alice hissed.

Dustin gave her a look.

"Have you met him, Al?"

Before she could respond, Mrs. Henderson was leading Mr. Good Hair into the kitchen, babbling on about how grateful she was.

"Mewsie is my little angel," she cooed. "I just pray that she's still out there somewhere, crying out for Mommy to find her."

Steve gulped.

"I'm sure she is, ma'am," he said, smiling weakly. "I'm sure she's happy, and safe, and not in any harm whatsoever—"

"Let's go, guys!" Alice cut in, grabbing Steve's arm and pinching it to get him to shut up. "We've got to search all over town and bring good old Mews home."

Mrs. Henderson gave them hugs and snacks for their journey, adding, "Don't forget to put up the signs I made!"

She handed them a stack of homemade "Lost Cat" signs. It was obvious she'd spent all night on them. The photo on the front was the picture of Alice, Dustin, and Mews from Halloween. It had only been a few days ago, but it felt like a century had passed since then.

The teens waved goodbye and promised to be careful. The second they were out of the house, Alice dropped the flyers into the recycling bin.

"They're not any use to us," she sighed. "Rest in peace, Mews."