[Part 3 Epilogue] Happy (Un)Birthday

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to all the amazing readers that have read, voted, and commented on my story. I love you 3000 <3 Please read the longer Author's Note at the end where I get even more sentimental.

{The Battle of Starcourt, Part IV}

Alice hadn't seen Dr. Owens in months.

She was technically supposed to check in with him every six weeks. When Hawkins Lab shut down, he gave her a special, secret phone number and password to use to get in touch.

"I want you to keep practicing with your powers," he had said, "and update me on any changes with your health."

Had Alice done that? No, no she hadn't.

She still didn't completely trust him, so she "accidentally" let kitten Tews chew on the slip of paper until it was unreadable.

Now, she sat in the back of an ambulance with him while he checked her vitals and gave her a new dosage of his miracle cure. She felt a half-percent shitty for blowing him off like that.

Dr. Owens could tell that she had been through hell, though, and didn't grill her for "forgetting" to call.

"You know, Alice," he said, setting up an IV of his power-fixing, side-effect-dampening medicine, "you're my favorite patient."

Alice scoffed.

"Yeah, sure," she said drily.

"It's true!" Dr. Owens said. "On the count of three, I'm going to inject this, okay? One—"

He injected her with the IV on one.

Alice grimaced. The needle's pinch was nothing compared to the pain of her concussion—and the pain of failure.

Maybe that was a tad overdramatic, but Alice still blamed herself for not getting to Billy in time. If only she had done things differently...

"Sorry about my little white lie," Dr. Owens said. "Most patients like it better when they're not expecting the pain."

"It's fine," Alice said.

Dr. Owens frowned.

"No sarcastic comments?" he said. "No quips?"

Alice shook her head.

Dr. Owens let out a low whistle.

"You really are hurt," he said wryly. "Alice in full health would've insulted me ten different ways by now."

That caused Alice to crack a small smile.

"Now," Dr. Owens said, "I need to speak with Mrs. Byers. I'll be back in a few minutes to check your vitals again. The medicine should work and get you back to full health in no time. I'll also give you some new doses to take home just in case—and my new office number. Seems you lost the last one?"

He winked before climbing out of the ambulance.

Alice sat on the gurney, mesmerized by the purple liquid rushing into her veins. She already felt better after only a few minutes.