500k Celebration: The Birthday Party

THANK YOU FOR OVER 500k READS! That is unreal! I love writing this story and am so glad people love reading it. ❤️

This is a Post-Season-3 AU where Mrs. Harrington invites Alice and all of Steve's friends to Mr. Harrington's 50th birthday party. It's based off Season 1 Episode 16 of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Party. However, it gets pretty angsty toward the end—consider this your official TW for asshole dads.

In this AU, Hopper never got trapped in Russia, the Byers stayed in Hawkins, and Billy survived the Mind Flayer. Hopper's not in this because there's no way he'd willingly go to this party. Billy's not in this because I do not like him. :)

🎂🎂🎂

You Are Cordially Invited to the 50th Birthday Party of James Norman Harrington

When: December 13th, 1985

Where: The Harrington House

RSVP by: November 22nd, 1985

Alice frowned at the invitation. She was invited to Steve's dad's birthday? Steve's dad who, despite the fact that she's been friends with Steve for 2 years and has dated him for almost 5 months, still thought her name was Allison?

Steve's dad, the man who snapped at Dustin and called him a "rowdy little beast" for spilling popcorn on the Harrington's carpet at a movie night?

Steve's dad, who never showed up to Steve's basketball games, who scorned every decision Steve made for his life, who gave him shit constantly for not going to college? Alice was supposed to, what? Go to the jerk's birthday party and pretend she didn't despise him?

Minutes after she fetched the invitation from the mailbox, Steve called.

"You don't have to go," Steve said quickly.

"Hello to you too," Alice said.

"I know my mom sent those invitations to everyone," Steve said. "But seriously, it'll be torture. All of my dad's coworkers will be there, along with their wives and snotty kids. It'll be tense and uncomfortable. You should stay far, far away."

"I don't want you to deal with all that shit alone," Alice said. "I'll be right by your side. If your dad's a dick to you, though, I'll smack him silly."

Steve chuckled.

"Oh, I'd like to see that."

It turns out, Mrs. Harrington had invited Nancy and Jonathan too, along with the entire Lunch Club—Robin, Maria, Samuel, and Quincy, since the latter was home from UCLA for winter break.

After overhearing Samuel claim he was going to perform one of Shakespeare's soliloquies to entertain the guests, Nancy forced the Lunch Club to meet in her basement for an emergency party meeting. 

On a whiteboard, she wrote in a looping script: Adult Parties.

"'Adult Parties'?" Samuel read aloud. "Nancy, those are called orgies."

"My dad met my mom at an orgy," Robin said. "Well, technically, he met her on the street as she was leaving one. Real meet-cute."

"Thank you for demonstrating why this meeting is necessary," Nancy said with an uncomfortable smile. "Everyone here needs instructions on interacting with grown-ups. Especially grown-ups like the Harringtons and their friends. The year Steve and I were together, I went to a handful of parties like this, so I know what to expect—and what not to do."