[71] "Women Want Me, Demodogs Fear Me"

{Papa, Part III}

The War Zone army surplus store had everything one might need for camping, hunting, fishing, and survival.

Erica, Robin, Nancy, Alice, Max, and Steve entered the store, shocked at the crowds.

"What is this, a Black Friday sale?" Alice said, brows pulled together in concern. Her mind flashed to a horrible scenario of her little brother, Lucas, and Eddie caught in a giant net or bear trap set by the store's patrons. "There's no way all these people are here because they're hunting Hellfire, right?"

"So much for avoiding angry hicks," Robin grumbled.

"Let's be fast," Nancy said, concern evident on her features.

"Definitely," Erica said. The group split off throughout the store, but Alice stopped Steve before he could go too far.

"As much as I like to look at your bare chest," Alice said, eyes raking over his (gloriously attractive) chest hair, "you might be violating some decency laws."

"My eyes are up here, you know," Steve quipped.

"I know," Alice murmured, making direct eye contact with his pecs. Steve scoffed and pretended to be offended, but secretly preened under the attention.

Alice dragged Steve to the clothes section and the couple sifted through a plethora of camouflage.

"Ah!" Alice said. "Here we go."

She pulled a hanger off the rack and held the shirt up to Steve. He looked down and frowned at the design—neon yellow words printed on camo, an ugly illustration of a trout smack in the middle.

"'Women Want Me,'" he read aloud. "'Fish Fear Me.' Alice, c'mon."

"What?!" Alice said with a mischievous grin. "It's funny!"

"Funny isn't what we're going for right now. I need something like...this!"

He showed her a simple green camouflage shirt before pulling it over his head.

"Fine," Alice said with a sigh. She noticed a ball cap nearby with the same funny fish message and snatched it up. "But I'm buying this for you. Consider it a birthday gift six weeks early. Happy 20th!"

The couple went in different directions—Steve to find a jacket and shoes, Alice to gather first-aid supplies.

She was in the middle of comparing different brands of gauze when she heard a brash voice shout, "Henderson!"

Alice whirled around, heart beating like a timpani. Chadley, Jason Carver's right-hand man, stormed toward her with a deadly glare.

"Chadley," she drawled, trying to keep her voice casual. "Sorry, I'm a bit busy right now."

She tossed both containers of gauze into her shopping cart and tried to slide past him. He grabbed the cart and shoved it into her, pinning her to the shelves.

"What the hell, man!" she snapped.

"Where's your freak brother?" Chadley snarled.

"I don't know."

"Don't lie!" he said.

"I'm not lying!" Alice said, her blood pressure increasing with every word. "I haven't seen him in days!"

"Bullshit!" Chadley pushed the cart harder into her abdomen. Alice winced in pain. "Where is he?!"

"I have no clue," Alice said, teeth gritted. "And if you don't leave me alone, I'll kick your ass."