Prologue

A wolf's howl, a full moon, a cold night, these were what she could remember strongly. It was a year ago to the day that she lost everything, including her identity apart from her name. Her first name that is.

Her name was Odette, yes just like in the ballet 'Swan Lake'. Her mother thought of it as ethereal and desired to have her daughter's name be as such. However her brunette curls, and brown, doe-like eyes differentiated from the character. Although she was beautiful in her own way. Though a tad clumsy, a kind heart won out in her personality. Turning even the darkest of days into one with a ray of hope. Her voice angelic and heavenly when she spoke or sang.

Odette's parents were wealthy and of high social class in the Wysteria kingdom. Not quite a vicomte but very close. Her father worked just as hard with his job as did his wife at home. Keeping up socially and training her daughter to be a proper lady. But that didn't stop them from nurturing her unique spirit. They were proud to have her as their daughter.

An offer soon came that would change her life forever. The Archduke, Rayvis Harniet of the kingdom of Stein, had given a proposal of marriage to her. Not quite out of love but of duty, this she knew as such. And while dreams of finding her true love lingered in her heart; the looks, the gossip and the prejudice she would hear about her clumsiness and other personality flaws, made her feel unwanted and unloved apart from her family. She never truly had a good friend. Even when she had thought one would be a loyal friend, betrayed her trust. It was heartbreaking to see all the others having great friendships while she was cast aside except when to be used.

When this proposal came to light, she pondered a night long and hard. Eventually agreeing to the arrangement as if this would make her more socially acceptable. Her dreams of love would be only that, dreams. However she had hope that this Rayvis would come to love her and she would him. Just like her parents were when they wed years ago.

Within a fortnight she was on her way towards her new life. It was cold and windy, even more so when the sun had set. The journey was long and she had soon fallen asleep.

However when Odette had awoken, she found herself on the ground in pain, the carriage on its side from what she could see in the moonlight, and a howling wolf. The last thing she saw was a tall figure kneeling down next to her before passing out.