Chapter 5 - Officer Down

*2 weeks later – 10 weeks pregnant*

*Jay's P.O.V*

Erin and I arrived at work and were surprised to find that we were the first ones there. Had we stepped into an alternate universe? Erin and I shared a confused look as we took a seat at our desks, the quiet of the squad room was foreign to us.

"Did you want a coffee whilst I'm getting myself one?" I asked Erin, rising to my feet and slowly walking towards the break room.

"Oh, no thank you. I'm avoiding caffeine for the next few months" she replied, her hand moving to rest on her stomach as a small smile creeping onto her face. I smiled as her thumb rubbed slow circles over her stomach. I strode over to her, placing my hand on the side of her face and capturing her lips with my own, taking her by surprise. I'll never get tired of the way my heart seemingly skips a beat every time our lips meet.

"What was that for?" she asked as her eyes fluttered open.

"Just because I love you" I smirked, before continuing on my way to make myself a coffee.

'10-19 Shots fired at the police. Officer down. Officer down. I don't have eyes on the shooter. Corner of Vernon and Crimson. I need a bus urgently. Use extreme caution, shooter may still be in the area' the voice on the radio frantically spoke, the panic is his voice evident.

"10-4 Detectives Halstead and Lindsay responding. We are two blocks out" Erin responded, as we both dropped what we were doing and grabbed our vests and guns before racing down the stairs, doing up our vests on the run.

We nearly collided with the rest of the unit on our way down the stairs. Erin filled them in as they joined us in heading down to our cars.

I flicked the lights and sirens on as Erin drove the three blocks to the location of the call, the rest of the unit right behind us.

My heart was hammering in my chest as Erin planted her foot, maneuvering in and out of traffic as I gripped onto the handle above my head.

As we sped around the final corner Erin turned to me with an anxious look on her face, her brows creased. "I love you too by the way" she uttered, the sincerity in her voice was overwhelming. I gave her hand a gentle squeeze before we both jumped out of the car and drew our guns, rushing over to the officer on the ground.

Ihelped his partner drag him behind a power transformer box whilst Erin providedcover, her gun firmly trained on the building to our left. The rest of the unitraced towards the building as I applied pressure to the officer's wound but Icould do little to slow the flow of blood coming from his chest. 

"Hey buddy, what's your name?" I asked as I re-positioned my hand on his wound, sharing a knowing look with his partner as blood started to seep out of the corner of his mouth

"Ben" he spluttered as his chest heaved, more blood coming out of his mouth. 

"Ben, I'm Jay. You're going to be ok. The ambulance is on their way. Just hang in there a little longer" I comforted, knowing the ambulance wouldn't reach us in time.

"How's he doing?" Erin called over to me. I shook my head in response, as I pressed my finger against the officer's neck, feeling his pulse fade.

"Building is all clear. Halstead, Lindsay head back to the district and coordinate the investigation from there. The rest of us will stay here and work the scene" Voight ordered over the radio. Erin sighed before heading towards the car and hopping into the passenger side, resting her head in her hands. I made my way over to the driver's side door and climbed in before turning to face Erin, placing my hand on her shoulder.

"Promise me something?" she asked, turning to face me with tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

"Anything" I replied, taking her hands in my own. I hated seeing her so upset and I knew that I'd do anything to make it right.

"Don't get yourself killed" she replied, her response taking me by surprise as she looked me straight in the eye.

"I'm not going anywhere" I promised, wiping the tears from her cheeks and resting my forehead against hers as she gently squeezed my hand, nodding her head slowly.

I put the car into gear and drove off towards the precinct, stealing the occasional glance over at Erin as she stared out the window of the car.
I pulled into the parking lot of the precinct, hopping out and walking around to the other side of the car to open Erin's door for her. She stepped out, almost as if she was in a trance, her gaze focused on the hard, concrete floor.

"Come here" I said softly, gently pulling her towards me, wrapping one arm around her waist and my other hand rested on the back of her head as she began to cry. She wrapped her arms around my middle and hid her face in my chest as people passing by looked on in confusion.

I'm not sure how much time passed before she slowly started to pull away from my embrace, using the sleeve of her jacket to wipe her face. She mumbled a thank you before we silently headed upstairs to the squad room.

"I'll get started on retrieving the CCTV footage in the area" Erin said, removing her vest and plonking herself down in her chair.

I sat down at my desk and watched as the sunlight streamed in through the window behind me, shining down on Erin's sweat-soaked forehead.

"You feeling ok?" I asked her, leaning forward in my chair. Erin shook her head, before burying her head in her hands.
I jumped up from my seat and crossed the room, kneeling down beside her and swiveling her chair so that she was facing me. Before I could wrap my arms around her, she leaned forward and placed her head on my chest, breaking down in sobs. I placed my arms around her and rubbed gentle circles into the base of her back.

Erin pulled back and wiped her eyes before pulling me closer to her and connecting our lips. I knew we would get in trouble if anyone caught us so I tried to pull away, but that only seemed to increase her desperation.

"I love you" Erin said, breathlessly as she leant back in her chair, leaving me breathing heavily and with several questions.

"I love you too" I said, taking hold of her hands as she took a deep breath. "Do you want to talk about what's bothering you?" I asked, brushing a piece of hair away from her eyes.

"No, I just want to catch the bastard that did this" she said, a new determination taking over as she turned back to face her computer.

Much to our frustration, the shooter did not show up on any of the CCTV footage we looked at. I texted Voight to give him the bad news. 

A.N./////// Hello all! I hope you like this chapter. Can I please get some feedback on what you think of this chapter?

I have two more books planned after this one? Do you want me to continue with this series? 
If you don't want me to continue with the series, it will alter how this book ends. I have not planned the final few chapters of this book so please let me know :) 

Until next time xxx