Chapter 1

Emma

He walks towards the couch where I'm sitting. There's something in his gaze that wasn't there a few seconds ago. He pulls me up to him, and grabs me by my waist. He moves in closer, whispering something in my ear but I can't hear what it is. All I hear is a stupid beeping sound. That's when I realize its my alarm clock beeping. I wake up and groan in frustration. It was all just a dream, but it felt so real! Glancing at the clock, I notice I have exactly 20 minutes to get dressed for my 8 am psychology class. As I'm getting ready, I can't stop thinking about that dream. He was in my living room. He was going to kiss me. Jay Freaking McGuiness was going to kiss me! But of course it was just a dream; because that's just my luck. On the 20 minute train ride from my apartment in Brooklyn to the NYU campus in the city, I come to the realization that I, Emma Marie Larner, have a serious issue. I'm obsessed with British boy band, The Wanted. I don't mean in an "OMG I love this song, this band is really good!" kind of way. I'm talking about a total "I have a blog dedicated to these sexy boys that I will never meet and I don't care what anyone has to say about it" way. Some people would say its unhealthy and weird for a 21 year old college student to be this way about a boy band, but honestly, I just can't help it. I do try to keep my obsession to myself though. I know nobody will understand, and I'm really not keen on sharing my men, as selfish as that may sound. They make my life complete and I'm happy with that, so anyone's opinion is irrelevant.

I arrive to my psych class 10 minutes late but my professor doesn't even notice as he drones on about some psychological experiment done in the 1970's. I'm trying really hard to concentrate, but I become distracted by the cute guy sitting a few seats away from me. He's wearing khaki pants with a white t-shirt and it reminds me of that picture of Nathan wearing pretty much the same thing. He even looks like Nathan, too! It's a little weird, or maybe it's just my imagination but eventually the guy looks up and catches me staring. Crap. I look away slowly so that I don't look like a complete loser. I go to my other classes, then to work at the art gallery in Williamsburg. The gallery is slow on Tuesdays, so I take some time to see (stalk, creep, whatever you want to call it) what the boys have been up to on twitter. That's odd. Last thing they tweeted was about taking a plane somewhere but nobody said where they were going. And that was yesterday! I wonder where they are now. I hate not knowing. It makes me paranoid. What if they get kidnapped or something?! That's it. I need an intervention. The only person who could possibly understand and help me with my situation is my best friend, Jamie, my fan girling buddy. I text Jamie and we agree to meet at our favorite bar after work. 4 hours later, I'm sitting at our booth, waiting for her to arrive. She's late, like always. I turn to call the waitress and that's when I notice him, sitting alone at the bar. At first I thought I was just being my delusional obsessed self since I couldn't even see his face. Then he turned towards the bartender and there was no way I could mistake his curly hair and tattoos. Who else would walk this earth looking that hot?! Jay. Jay was in a bar. In Willamsburg. In New York! In my bar!! Holy hell!!! This couldn't be real. I needed to calm down. No, I needed another beer. The waitress finally comes my way, and after I order, I feel a lot calmer. I realize that there's no way that guy could be Jay. Why would he be here, and where are the other guys? And where the hell is Jamie when I need her!? It just made no sense at all. As I'm sitting there, staring down at my beer, telling myself how ridiculous I am for even thinking it could be him, I don't notice the guy standing next to my booth until he clears his throat. I look up and in that second, I'm pretty sure I died a million times. It's him. It is really him. I somehow manage to keep calm and not jump up screaming like a moron. In fact, I don't do anything at all. I just stare at him until I realize I must look stupid. Is he waiting for me to say something? I say the safest thing that comes to mind- "Hi". Hi? Jay McGuiness is standing in front of me and all I say is hi?! How creative and witty. That's all he needs though before he sits down across from me with that cute smile on his face. This is when things get really weird. Jay asks, "Are you waiting for someone?" He spoke to me again. Ahhhh. I'm internally freaking out now and I just blurt "No?" It comes out sounding like a question. Gosh, this is so embarrassing! Jamie is going to kill me! Jay doesn't notice my weirdness though, and casually asks me my name. I manage to get it together before saying Emma. He sticks out his hand across the table and says, in his sexy British accent "Lovely to meet you, Emma. I'm Luke." Luke? What the hell??