3.

GREED WASN'T AN actor.

But he'd been to many, many interviews after inheriting the company. He knew how to control his facial expressions, how to control his voice, how to pull the right strings and make things go his way.

So when he made a phone call to Wheein, that was exactly what he did.

"How's. . . how's the company going?" Greed asked. While his voice was soft and hesitant, his face was bored. He picked at his nails as Wheein replied.

"It's going fine, Mr. Jeon," she said. "I didn't expect you to call. How are you doing?"

Greed remained silent for a second. The question really did make him think. How was he doing?

"I don't know," he said truthfully, before leaking false uncertainty into his voice, "I don't know. . . I don't know how long I'll be gone, Wheein. I don't think I'm ready to come back yet. . ."

Yes, he was definitely selling the hopeless, lost boy character. Wheein was smart, but he was an expert at pretending to be someone he wasn't. There was no way she wouldn't fall for it.

"That's alright, Mr. Jeon. You can take as long as you need," Wheein replied.

"Is it too much work for you?"

Pretend to be concerned. That's how you get them to be nice to you. Act like you care, and they're in the palm of your hand.

"No, not at all," Wheein reassured. "But, speaking of work, I have to go now. Call me whenever you feel like it, and take your time, Mr. Jeon. No one's rushing you."

Greed almost scoffed. No one rushing him? Wheein should be a comedian, he thought.

"Thank you, Wheein, thank you very much." The false gratefulness leaked into Greed's voice, and he ended the call, turning and scowling at the person watching him by the door.

"Sloth," he said, "eavesdropping on conversations now, are we?"

Sloth raised his hands in an 'I surrender' sort of way. "In my defense, it's not like I heard anything heartfelt and private. You're real good at that fake voice, kid. Teach me sometime?"

Out of all the sins, Sloth, along with Gluttony, was the most laid back. When Greed did something remotely 'evil' or 'mean', Sloth would just grin at him and shrug as the others scolded him. Gluttony would stand up for him, but it was nice to know Greed had a silent supporter like Sloth as well.

"Don't know if I can teach you," Greed said, bored, "it's more of a natural talent."

Sloth's eyebrows shot up, amused. "Done packing?" he asked.

"We leave in a week," Greed deadpanned. "I don't have to pack right away."

Sloth shrugged. "Nice of Gluttony to let us stay in his house until the Gates open, don't ya think?"

Greed rolled his eyes. "If this is some way to make me go and say thank you to him, I'll have you know that I already did."

"Oh?" Sloth asked. "You? Thanked someone for something? Wow, you've really grown up."

"Yeah, I've grown up." Greed pulled Sloth's gold watch out of his pocket and dangled it in front of the older's face. "Grown up and gotten better at stealing, too."

Sloth stared at the watch for a moment. Greed noticed his other hand come up to cover his bare wrist, as if feeling for what wasn't there. Greed smirked.

Sloth sighed in defeat. "Alright, kid, give it back."

Greed pulled it out of Sloth's reach, and turned his head to look at it. He swung it a bit, watching how it glinted in the light.