The Night Before

Maia's POV:
My room was filled with balsam scented candles, plaid quiltings, and Christmas ornaments. The TV was set to Hallmark. Outside it was freezing cold, but in the main quarters, the house was very cozy. I live with my dad who is the Alpha King. We live in the MQ of the pack house alone. I usually am not allowed to go out and meet new people so I really only have one friend; a girl my age from the pack. Her name is Jenna and she is the daughter of the beta. Our pack is called the Silver Blood pack. We currently have the largest pack in all of the country. I had hoped that my mate would be someone from the pack for quite some time, just so that I could keep my spot in the Silver Blood line. I currently have a high position in the pack. I am the lead trainer for the warriors. I take care of all the workouts and special skills of the wolves. We have to be the best because we have so many enemies. At everything we do, we have to be superior. There are so many packs that have tried to conquer ours and it has continued to be an ongoing struggle for our kind. We face so much competition and it is my job to make sure that our fighters are in top shape and prepared for every aspect of possibility. I don't want a mate right now. I don't need someone to hold me back from my passion. I don't want to just walk around pregnant and barefoot. I feel like there is more in store for me. Recently we have been faced with a threat from the alpha of the Black Storm pack. They are our most dangerous concern at the moment. That is why we have been training so much more lately. I am exhausted from the all the hours of training. I know that I am going to go into heat soon, so I need to make sure I have the warriors in top shape before then. I don't know how long it will take for my heat to arrive, but it happens soon after turning 18. I just turned 18 last month, so I'm very nervous. This age is when all the wolves are eligible to find their mates. I just hope that I have a good amount of time between now and then.
As I sit in the bathtub I begin to wonder more about what my mate would look like, who he would be... I wonder if my mate is contemplating who I am as well.
I have dark black hair and olive skin, standing at around 5 feet, similar to my father but he is 6'4. However, the rest of our pack is very diverse. That's why it is so easy to send spy's to other territories. Nobody looks the same.
A familiar voice snapped me out of my thoughts.
"Maia, are you in there?"
I turned my head to see Jenna peeking through the doorway of the bathroom. I sat in the bath with a tub full of ice in hopes of relieving my sore muscles. Training is a real bitch.
"Yeah, I'm here. What have you done all day?" I said.
She walked in and sat on the fluffy mat outside of the tub.
"Well to be frank, I was getting a spray tan, mani-pedi, and I went to the salon." said Jenna.
I arched my eyebrows and laughed at her. "Jen, why in the world were you doing that?"
She gave me a shocked look and said, "The Black Storm pack is going to be here tomorrow!"
I continued to arch my brow
"So?"
Jenna gasped and said, "Don't you know that the Black Storm pack is known for having the hottest guys in the whole circuit?!"
I laughed. Jenna still hadn't found her mate and by the looks of it, she was going to go into heat soon too.
"You know, they are also known for killing innocent children and mothers."
She rolled her eyes, "yeah... I forgot about that."
I can't deny, I do think about mating a lot more often since I turned 18, but that doesn't stop me from using rationality. I just don't want to be the only one who hasn't found their mate in my age group.
"What if your mate is the alpha?!" She blurred out.
I scoffed.
"As if. I would never mate with someone who does what he does. I'm not stupid. I would end up being a housewife forever. I can't do that. Not right now."
She agreed and helped me out of the tub. We got our makeup off and crawled into my bed. She stays with me more often than not. I laid there thinking about the possibility of my mate being part of the Black Storm pack and the more I thought about it, the more of a dreamy state I fell into.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FIRST STORY I'VE EVER PUBLISHED! Eek! Please give me your feedback, I would much appreciate it! 💕