2/4: Secrets & Seductions

“I can’t stop thinking about her. I mean, him,” Louis moaned to Niall as they walked around the stable, dumping horse feed into troughs. Technically, feeding the horses and cleaning the stables weren’t part of Niall’s job; the blond boy was King Simon’s personal manservant. But since Louis always complained that Niall had too easy of a time pouring hot baths and feeding the King grapes, Niall found himself frequently joining Louis at the stables, roped into helping out with the latter’s less savory duties.

“So you keep telling me, mate,” sighed Niall. “You know, I still don’t believe that you didn’t make this whole thing up. I mean, damsel in distress locked up in a forbidden tower all her life … what is this, a fairy tale?”

“His, not her,” reminded Louis. “I know it’s hard to believe, but I couldn’t make up someone like Harry even if I tried.” He wore a far-off expression.

“So tell me about him. You haven’t really said much besides moon over how pretty and innocent he is,” Niall sniggered, “I mean, who is this boy?”

“Oh, I haven’t told you the best part yet!” Louis laughed. “Guess what — Harry’s actually Prince Harry, the King’s son. Can you believe it? King Simon, keeping his seventeen year old virgin son locked away in a tower for his own protection –”

“Wait,” barked Niall, “did you just say ‘King Simon’s seventeen year old virgin son’?”

“Uh, yeah,” said Louis, perplexed. “That’s what he is, innit?”

A shadow crossed Niall’s usually cheerful features. He chewed his lip, then said, “Louis, I’m going to tell you something I’ve never told anyone else, okay?”

Louis looked startled at his friend’s seriousness. “Is this about the time you jerked off while I was fucking that handmaiden in the armory? Because I know about that already,” he said jokingly.

Niall didn’t take the bait. “It’s about King Simon.” He grabbed Louis by the arm and pulled him into a corner of the stable, looking left and right to make sure that there was no one around to overhear them.

“What is it?” said Louis, his smile dropping.

“You know how King Simon has a hidden room in his chamber that no one is allowed to enter?” Niall began.

“Yeah, people say that he keeps the corpse of his dead wife in there,” Louis said.

“Well, it’s not his dead wife that he keeps in there, but it’s not far off. Five years ago – in fact, when I first started working at the palace – I accidentally entered the room. It was my first day on the job and no one had told me it was forbidden, so I figured that it was some sort of chamber pot room or something –”

“Chamber pot room?” Louis snickered.

“Let me finish,” said Niall. There was a look of fright on his face that shut Louis up. “So I accidentally walked into this forbidden chamber and there was King Simon, sitting on the floor naked, with a demon standing over him.”

Louis waited for the punch line. When it didn’t come, he said slowly, “So King Simon was communing with a demon?”

“Yes!” exclaimed Niall, “My grandmother had some books on witchcraft and I recognized the set up immediately. There were pentagrams drawn on the floor and walls and incense burning in the fireplace. And I couldn’t have possibly dreamed up the demon – he was like some horrific specter, all red and scaly and –” Niall broke off, shuddering at the memory.

“Anyway, King Simon didn’t notice me, because all his concentration was focused on summoning the demon. I caught bits and pieces of what they were saying, and from what I remember, King Simon was offering a virgin sacrifice to the demon in exchange for eternal power over Alluria.” Niall clutched Louis’s shoulders. “Louis, what if the virgin sacrifice is supposed to be his own son, Harry?”

Louis frowned, trying to process this new information. He didn’t doubt Niall’s honesty. Besides, people have been known to make pacts with demons for centuries, so that was nothing new … But this all seemed so preposterous.

“This happened a long time ago, Niall. Are you sure you’re remembering it right?”

“Trust me, it wasn’t a something I would ever forget,” Niall said. “Over the years, I’ve been observing King Simon and there are just things about him that seem off somehow. Like sometimes he talks to himself like he’s already the supreme ruler of the whole land. He never eats dishes containing rosemary or oregano – those are demon repellents, and he has this mark in the shape of an X on his lower back, and that’s the mark of someone who has made a pact with a demon.”

Louis listened to all this, trying to keep a level head. “But Harry is his own son, and from the way that boy talks about his “Daddy”, you’d think he’s the best parent in the world. Doesn’t sound like the actions of someone who’s planning to murder his child, you know?”

“Think about it, Louis,” said Niall. “If he didn’t keep Harry happy, Harry wouldn’t agree to be locked up in a tower all his life. I doubt that he truly cares for Harry as a son. After all, if he plans to have eternal power, he wouldn’t need a son to carry on the throne.”

“Fuck,” Louis breathed, sinking down into the hay. “What are we going to do?”

“There is an obvious solution,” Niall said tentatively. “Make it so that Harry is no longer a virgin.”

Louis gaped at him, then laughed hollowly. “You know, even without this whole demon business, I was planning on doing that anyway.”

Niall rolled his eyes and ruffled his friend’s hair. “Well, now you have a much better justifications for your perverted intentions.”

“It’s going to be difficult though,” said Louis thoughtfully. “He seemed really jumpy when I touched him, and he kept saying that his daddy has forbidden anyone to touch him down there.”

“Poor, deprived boy,” sighed Niall, “I wonder what other kinds of nonsense King Simon has brainwashed him with. I guess you’ll have to use all the tricks up your sleeve on this one.”

“I love a challenge. Especially a challenge as delightful as this one,” said Louis with a smirk.

~

With Niall’s help, Louis finished his day’s duties in record time. Even his master was amazed at his productivity, and gave him the rest of the afternoon off. Louis saddled Betsy and retraced his footsteps to the forest clearing where the tower stood, tranquil and unchanging, as though caught in a wrinkle in time. He tied Betsy’s reins to a tree just beyond the clearing and cupped his hands around his mouth.

“Harry, Harry, let down your hair!” he yelled.

Harry fell upon him with a hug as soon as he jumped in through the window, enveloping him in a shower of pink lace, curly hair and citrusy scent. 

"Nice to see you too," Louis laughed, pleasantly surprised at his exuberant reception. 

"I was afraid yesterday was all a figment of my imagination," Harry mumbled into his neck. Louis felt a rush of affection for the younger boy. 

"I’m here now, aren’t I?" he said, gently extricating himself.

Harry grinned hugely. “There’s so much I want to ask you and you must tell me all about your life and your family and the palace and … look, I even made a list …”

They sat shoulder to shoulder on Harry’s bed and talked. Harry’s curiosity was insatiable. He wanted to know every aspect of Louis’s life and the world outside, which was understandable given his isolation. Louis told him about things that Harry had read descriptions of in his books: the palace with its courts and courtyards, lords and ladies, knights and soldiers, sundry servants; as well as places that were a bit harder to imagine such as the bustle and stink of the marketplace on a Monday morning, or the hush of a church during mass. Harry listened, wide-eyed, as Louis related tales that were never described in his books: stories that took place in pleasure houses, gambling dens and ale houses, stories that left him blushing or clutching his side in hysterical laughter. 

“… and that’s how Niall got that scar on his left buttock and why the landlord forbids me from ever setting foot inside the Lion’s Tail ever again,” Louis finished his story with a flourish.

Harry rubbed his eyes, which had teared up with laughter during Louis’s narrative. “You lead such colorful lives,” he sighed.

“I wish I could take you away from here,” said Louis, brushing a curl out of his face. Harry leaned lazily into his touch.

“Me too,” Harry said with a moue. He brightened immediately and hopped on his knees excitedly, “Guess what – my daddy said he would take me to outside the tower on my birthday! He said it’s for a special ritual.”

Louis paled. Niall was right. He tried to school his features into a happy expression for Harry’s sake.

“That’s wonderful! When exactly is your birthday?”

“In six days,” Harry replied happily. “Hey, if I get out, maybe I can come and see you. I’ll come to the stables to find you and you can show me how to ride a horse.”

“Yeah, you do that,” Louis said, head whirring. He had thought they had more time. 

Harry noticed his preoccupation. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Louis gave him a quick smile. “Why don’t you show me some of those books that you love so much?”

They lay on the floor under Harry’s skylight. Louis piled up Harry’s hair so that it formed a comfortable cocoon around them and Harry sat between his legs, head pillowed on his thighs. He read passages from his favorite books to Louis, who played with his hair and his fingers.

“I just love this part so much,” sighed Harry, showing Louis the worn and dog-eared page. There were illegible scribbles all along the margins where Harry had taken notes.

“I can’t read,” Louis admitted. “Never had the chance to learn.”

“That’s okay, I’ll teach you,” Harry said, unfazed. “You can visit me every day and I’ll teach you to read. You’ll pick it up in no time.”

Harry looked up at him, his smile blinding, and Louis felt a lurch in his stomach. If Niall was right, they didn’t have days for Harry to teach him to read. They barely had a week.

“Harry …” Louis sat up and the other boy followed suit. “I really like you.”

“I really like you too,” Harry said, the corners of his mouth dimpling.

Louis touched his cheek. “Do you know what people do when they like each other?”

“They … get married?” Harry hazarded a guess.

“Some do,” Louis said, “but they also do this.” He pressed his lips softly to Harry’s, hoping that the other boy won’t push him away. Harry froze, then melted against Louis, eyes fluttering shut. His lips were soft and full, and Louis couldn’t help running the tip of his tongue over them until Harry opened his mouth with a soft moan. They explored each other’s mouths, kissing slowly for long minutes, until Louis lost track of time. He’d never been so into simply kissing someone before. 

“I-I have to go,” he murmured against Harry’s mouth, feeling the rays of the setting sun warm his back.

“No, not yet …” Harry looked so despondent and ravished that Louis had to kiss him again, their lips moving together more frantically now that time was no longer on their side. This time, it was Harry who pushed him away.

“Okay, go, Louis, you have to go. You have to go now.” They stumbled towards the window, still clutching at one another. 

“Tomorrow, yeah?” Louis said, and Harry nodded, eyes shining, letting down his hair.

*

“I have six days, Niall. Six days,” Louis said, lying in his cot in the dark.

“Hmm, what’s your masterplan?” Niall asked sleepily.

“I don’t have one,” Louis replied. He still had Harry’s sweet taste on his lips.

*

Harry kissed him as soon as Louis climbed into his room the next day. 

“I missed you,” he said shyly, ducking his head adorably.

“I missed you too,” said Louis, “you and your sinful lips.” He pushed Harry up against the wall and snogged the other boy until he squirmed, pink-cheeked and laughing.

Harry spent the afternoon showing Louis his paintings and drawings, then set Louis the task of copying the letters of the alphabet onto a piece of parchment. Louis was a quick learner, though easily distracted as he kept trying to corner Harry with kisses, to which Harry yielded eagerly enough. By late afternoon, they had give up on lessons and lay eagle-spread on Harry’s bed, talking idly about nothing and everything.

“So why doesn’t your daddy tell you anything about the outside world?” asked Louis, who found himself wondering a lot about the prince’s relationship with his father.

“It’s not that I haven’t tried asking him,” said Harry, tracing Louis’s collarbone with his fingers. “He just brushes it off whenever the subject comes up. He tells me that it’s none of my concern. But he’s a good king, right?” He looked at Louis, anxious for his approval.

“Well …” Louis bit his lip. He taxes the poor and gives to the rich. He puts to death anyone who opposes his will.  Also, he has made a pact with a demon to trade your unblemished soul for eternal power, Louis thought. He decided not to voice any of this; there was no need for Harry to know that the father he loved all his life was a tyrant. “He’s a good king, much loved by his people.”

“I knew it,” Harry said happily. “He’s such a kind father. I knew he would be a beloved ruler.”

Louis pulled him over so that Harry sat astride his body. “Kiss me,” he ordered, partly because he didn’t want to talk any more about King Simon, and partly because they had five days left before Harry’s eighteenth birthday and he was still a virgin. The other boy still skittered away whenever Louis tried to touch him below the waist. It was frustrating, to say the least.

Harry settled his skirts around Louis’s lap and leaned down to capture Louis’s lips in his, sooty lashes fluttering closed. Louis ran on one hand through his hair, massaging his scalp (Harry moaned into his mouth in approval) while he rubbed gently at the other boy’s back with his other hand, running his thumb around the sensitive divots on Harry’s lower back.

He felt Harry hardening against him, the thin gauzy material of his dress failing to cover the bulge of his erection. It was driving Louis crazy but he kept himself still, distracting Harry with his lips, fingers and tongue. Harry whined into his mouth, hips starting to shift minutely against Louis’s, seeking relief. Louis let him rut against his leg, delighting in the tiny moans that fell from Harry’s lips. A particularly enthusiastic thrust made Louis groan into Harry’s ear. “God, Harry …”

Harry drew back, looking agonized. “I-I think you’d better go, Louis,” he bit out. His hair was falling in wild curls around his face, his lips were swollen and the front of his skirt tented indecently. Louis had never desired anyone more in his entire life.

“It’s okay. We’re not doing anything wrong.” Louis reached out for him but the younger boy scrambled back, as though fearing his touch. Resigned, he bade Harry farewell and slid back down the tower, wondering how he was going to break the other boy’s will.

*

Niall had almost drifted off to sleep when a rhythmic slapping sound from the next bed lured him awake.

“Lou, are you wanking?” he asked groggily.

There was a moment of silence. Louis exhaled noisily. “If you had a cocktease of a prince humping you all day, then kicking you out of his room, then had to ride ten miles home on horseback with a bloody hard on, you’d be wanking too.” His voice sounded pained.

“Do it more quietly then,” Niall muttered, burying his head under his pillow.

*

“I apologize for my misconduct yesterday,” Harry said to him stiffly the next day.

“There’s no need to apologize,” Louis said quickly, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have pushed you.”

Harry broke into a relieved smile. Louis realized that the other boy probably thought he had been horribly offended by his behavior.

“I have an idea,” he declared, wanting to cheer the other boy up. “Why don’t you model your favorite dresses for me today?”

“Ooh, good idea!” Harry lit up, expression changing from doleful to exuberant in the blink of an eye. Louis climbed onto his bed so as to get out of the way of Harry’s hair as he whipped around the room like a hyperactive kitten, grabbing clothes from his wardrobe and depositing them on the bed.

He had slipped his dress halfway down his shoulders before glancing over at Louis. “Um, aren’t you going to turn around while I change?”

“Why should I? We’re both boys; there is nothing to hide,” Louis said, smiling angelically.

“Oh, all right.” Harry bit his lip, then slipped off his dress, revealing pale, unblemished skin and long, lean limbs. His underwear was something lacy and sheer. Louis’s mouth went dry. Harry noticed his stare and reddened, hurriedly pulling on a green dress that matched the color of his eyes. It was silky and clung to his sparse curves.

“Daddy gave me this for my birthday last year,” he said, twirling on the spot. “It’s a bit tight now – I suppose I’ve grown.”

“You look good enough to eat,” Louis choked out.

Harry removed the green dress. Louis ran his lip over his bottom lip, not bothering to hide the naked desire in his eyes. Harry must have felt the weight of his gaze, for his blush deepened and his fingers twitched, as though holding back the urge to cover himself. Louis could see him hardening, the outline of his cock straining against the sheer panties as tension in the room mounted.

By the fourth dress, the younger boy couldn’t take it any more. “Stop looking at me like that!” he cried, placing his hands over his groin.

“Like what?” Louis got up from the bed and stalked over, making Harry back away until he was cornered against the wardrobe. Louis reached between them and placed his hand boldly over Harry’s.

“Louis, please, I told you I can’t …” Harry whispered, trembling from the force of holding back.

“Harry, if you don’t let me touch you, I might get so upset that I’ll never come back,” Louis chided gently. He felt guilty about manipulating the innocent boy like this, but he needed some way to break through the years of repressed sexuality.

It worked. Harry removed his hands from his crotch reluctantly, implicitly giving him free rein to do as he liked. Louis cupped him lightly, feeling the hot, throbbing length until Harry whined and pushed against his hand. Louis rubbed him through the thin cloth, getting the front of the underwear wet and sticky with precome. His nipples were small and peaky and when Louis tweaked them with his fingers, Harry clutched his shoulder and moaned into the hollow of his neck. Louis dipped his hand under his waistband. As soon as he gripped Harry’s cock, the younger boy came with a cry, body shaking like a leaf from the first deliberate orgasm of his life.