CHAPTER 14(Part 1)

" A thorn defends the rose, harming only those who would steal the blossom. - Chinese Proverb.

Ryan finished his painting and left the canvas out to dry. It had been a week since his journey to the South to Katrina's new place and inspiration had now seemed to have struck or had actually flooded in.

Over ten canvases waiting to be framed filled now stood on almost every corner of his spacious studio and with the sale of these, Ryan was sure that his father would not have that much of a hold on him. He should have been scared, the man knew, but his father had been careless to dismiss his art as useless hobby. A waste of time, he had called it, but Ryan knew better. This hobby was what was paying his bills and with the investments he had made out of his income, he was sure that he could continue to live a comfortable life despite his father's numerous threats.

Ryan wiped his hands and walked out of the studio. He pauses in the corridor debating on what to do first until his mind was made up for him by the sorry state of his attire and he ended up branching into his room if only to get a flesh change of clothes. Clothes that were not stained with all manner of paint. After pulling on a pair of dark colored jeans and an even darker colored shirt the man walked up to his closet mirror and stared back at his appearance. He did not look bad and apart from a small splash of paint that still remained on his lower leftside cheek, his reflection was nearly perfect.

He did not take that into a account though. Lately, he rarely did with all the things that filled his mind he hardly had any time left for vanity. Maybe before, before all this mess had started but today, he had an appointment with Katrina at the doctor's office and that was all that mattered to him. Even then, he knew that he could not walk out with the smear of blue paint still sticking to his face. No, he smiled. Katrina would surely understand but not the doctor and the loads of other people he was sure to meet on the way. Quickly he took out a tissue from a box and attempted to wipe it off the smear with it but it continued to linger.

"Aarg... What am I thinking?" he said even as he opened his medicine cabinet to retrieve a packet of wet wipes. The paint was quickly wiped away and Ryan walked out to inspect the guest room for the third time that day. "Everything's in order," he muttered even as he closed the door behind him and moved to walk down the stairs where he took out a coat from the hallway closet and his car keys from the hallway table before moving out into the driveway where a sleek sportscar was waiting for him.

It was black just like most of the other things he owned including a motorcycle with its glossy coat gleaming brightly in the midmorning sun. Like he had done so many times before, Ryan reached out a hand and traced the contours that marked its body tenderly. His pride, his joy and a functional piece of machinery considering what his hobbies were. He loved its speed but a spacious back seat and trunk were also important considering the size of the frames that he usually had to carry his paintings on. Even so, he knew that it would not always work out. With the baby coming and alot of things changing, maybe his choice of ride would also have to change or maybe he could somehow work things out.

"A baby in a sportscar?" he laughed at the thought but was it really unheard of? It was still reckless considering the speeds that this vehicle was capable of and that is, if Katrina even allowed it.

Slowly Ryan pulled out his driveway and joined the main road that led out of the gated community. He slowed at an intersection before finally accelerating, pulling himself into the main highway before speeding all the way to Katrina's new home in the South.

***

"Really Ryan, I am not that fragile. I am hardly three months in and you are fussing this much?" Katrina complained even as a grinning Ryan took her overnight bag from her hands and deposited it in the back seat of his car. "And wipe that grin off your face. It is irritating." she growled even as Ryan quickly reached out to open the front passenger's seat to his car. She gave him a look but settled in nonetheless with the wide smile still plastered on his face. He could not help it and despite all her complaining Katrina knew that it was all from his excitement. She was excited as well, but also nervous. Not just about visiting the doctor, but the evening as well.

Due to the distance and other activities that she had at the capital, Ryan had insisted on her spending the next couple of days at his house. She had intended on spending at a hotel but he had been quite insistence and in on the end he had won. His reasoning being quite sensible contrary to what she had come to expect in the years she had been married to him.

They were still married but only in paper and for how long, Katrina did not know. She had never allowed herself to truly think about it and with her budding business that was taking much of her time and brain space, Katrina found that it was not hard as it once was. Business kept her mind busy and the fulfillment she got from it was another thing that usually kept her going most of the time.

"I was thinking. After the appointment... We can go shopping..."

"What for Ryan?" Katrina scoffed, but the man remained unfazed.

"Baby stuff of course and I am sure in a few months you will need maternity wear?" she looked back at him in shock. "What? What did I say?"

"No. Nothing."she shook her head still shocked at the man that was seating beside her. Was he the same the man she had grown used to? What had changed in him? And how had he gotten so considerate? She shook her head again still skeptical of the changes she was seeing in him. After all he was still that man who had broken her.