Chapter 5: Why'd You Do It?

I had the mini-hospital set up and was anxiously waiting for the boys when I heard the front door open. I stood up and took in the damage, nobody looked to roughed up,"where is Dally and Ponyboy?" I asked.
       "Probably went to see Johnny since we won," Sodapop said.
          "Okay, well let me get you boys cleaned up. I'll worry about them later," I smiled.
         First I cleaned up Steve, then Two-bit, then Soda, and was sitting on the coffee table cleaning up Darry when Ponyboy walked in.
        "Where you been,kid?" Darry asked.
          Ponyboy looked at everyone,"Johnny's dead. We told him about the rumble, he told me to stay gold. I don't know where Dally is, he took off. He couldn't take it, he's gonna blow."
       "What? Where was he last? I have to go find him before he does something stupid," I said feeling a panic attack coming on as tears brimmed my eyes.
          "Ryan, you need to calm down. Well find him or he'll come here," Darry said wrapping me in his arms, I slowly calmed down, but Darry wasn't Dally.
           I was cleaning Ponyboy up when the phone rang. Steve answered it then yelled for Darry.
       "Ryan, you need to come to the phone," Darry yelled.
         I pushed through the guys and got to the phone,"hello?"
       "Hey baby girl," Dally said.
      "Dal, where are you?"
      "Meet me at the park with the gang. Fuzz after me."
      "Dal, no," I whispered.
      "I love you, baby," he said.
      "I love you, Dal," I said with tears, then he hung up.
         We all took off out the door to meet Dally at the park, but as we got closer I saw how surrounded Dally was, then he pulled a gun from his pants, the cops started shooting.
       "No!" Soda yelled.
       "Dally!" Steve yelled.
       "Its not loaded!" Ponyboy yelled.
      "Stop!" Two-bit yelled.
      "He's just a kid!" Darry yelled.
      "Dally! No!" I screamed. I pushed past the guys and ran faster.
          One more shot rang out and Dally dropped to the ground crawling towards us,"Pony. Ryan, I'm so-" then Dally was gone.
      "No!" I screamed and dropped beside him putting my head on his chest. Two-bit pulled me away from his body and into his chest.
         We all walked back to the Curtis house. Two-bit didn't let me go the whole way back. When we got inside Two-bit sat me down on the couch still next to me with his arm around my shoulders pulling me in so I was leaning into his side and Soda brought me some water. After a couple minutes of just holding the glass Darry took it from me and walked me to his room.
       "You can sleep here tonight, I'll sleep in the living room. Get some rest, Ry," Darry said kissing my forehead then walking out. I laid down and cried myself to sleep.