Chapter 6: Setback

~Kaz's POV~

"That car!" Meryl glimpsed at the car as she tried to make her words. "That's my dad's car!" I gasped. Then she slowly raised the shaking hands and pointed at the side window. There were small holes, and just by looking at it, I knew those were bullet holes. Meryl knew as well. " Why is there a hole?" she trembled. "Could those be bullet holes?" She fell on my knees and slightly shouted, "IS DAD HURT?!"

I hurried to the car and checked if there was any sign of injuries. There were fragments of glasses on the seat which meant the gun was used from the outside. But there was no blood to indicate that a person was shot. "Meryl..." I called as I was certain that no one was hurt. "Your father is fine. No one is hurt." "How do you know?" she asked in a calmer voice. "Look... There's no blood... and I'm sure someone can't get shot without bleeding." "Huh..." she signed as she came to the car. "You're right," she said once she was sure.

Meryl exhaled in relief, but she wasn't fully alright. How can she be? All these scandals happening in one day... it must be hard. But from what I observed, she's a strong girl. She can handle it... I hope...

"What are we gonna do now?" Meryl murmured while she stared at her father's car with her half-closed eyes. "You stay hidden while I go in the cottage and see what I can find," I instructed. Meryl swiftly nodded and hid behind a bush with no hesitation.

I took out my handgun and headed to the cottage, taking each step in cation. Every step was creating a splashing sound as I walk on the wet floor.

There was something bothering me. The GPS said the people headed here, but the car they used to get here wasn't around.

I peeked through the small window. A dark curtain almost blocking the view. There was a small opening, and I gave a quick scan around the room. I tried to make out what was in it, but there was no use. The room was swallowed by the darkness, the only light source being these little opening of the curtain.

I held the door handle and gingerly opened it, creating a creaking sound. The room was illuminated as the lights made there was to the dark room. I could see the place clearly.

I entered the house as I held the gun, aimed and prepared. I glanced around, there were some ropes on the floor. I also noticed a few blood-drops on the floor and the wall. At the far corner was a knock wooden chair, one of the legs broken. "There was definitely a fight in here," I murmured. "And it doesn't seem like anyone is here." I checked every nook and cranny, but there was nothing else other than some wrecked items.

There was another door that was in the opposite direction of the front door. I opened it, and bright light plunged its way to the room. I squinted my eyes, then slowly adjusted to the light. "A backyard?" I walked out.

Outside was a black van parked. It was the same van those bastards drove off by. I opened the door and examined the place. It was messy, and there were signs of struggle. I entered the van and went to the very back seat. There I found a light green handbag. It was the type of bag Meryl would have. "Maybe this is hers." I took the bag and headed to Meryl.

Meryl was sitting on the floor with her leg crossed. She was scrubbing the floor with a stick and humming. "Meryl," I called her. "Detective... did you find anything? Are they inside?" She asked in hope of a good answer. I shook my head. "They're not here... Is this your bag?" I dangled the bag. "Yes! That's mine." "Then that's not good," I signed, "Now there is no other way to track them. They must have left by a different car."

Meryl lowered her face as her hope draining from her. "Now what?" she whispered. "We still got your dad's car to investigate." I focus on the car, "We might find something important." She glanced at it with her exhausted eyes and stood up.