Chapter 9: Reason to Enter

~Kaz's POV~

"Wind-Hill High School," I said as I parked my car near the school. Meryl was sitting next to me, leaning on her own hand and gazing through the window.

The school had a refreshing environment. There were metal fences surrounding the whole school field, blocking the view to the school. A silver gate was decorated with beautiful plants and trees. Beside the gate, there was a guard who was sitting and taking a catnap. Faint sounds of chatter and laughter of students were hearable, suggesting that it was break time.

"So... what are we gonna do now?" she asked as she slowly lifted her head. "Go in and find the person," I gave a simple answer while I unbuckle my seatbelt. "You know it won't be that easy," she murmured and looked me in the eye.

"What do you mean?"

"The guard won't let you in. You're a stranger to the school."

"Oh! Right! School policy. People can't just barge in," I said as I understood our matter. Most of the schools wouldn't just let people in. It was meant for the safety of the students. "I think there is a way," she said with doubt, "but I'm not sure if it would work."

"What is it?"

"You can get in if you come as a relative or a guardian... and maybe if... you pretend like an uncle or something..."

I got what she meant. We can pretend I came here to talk about Meryl, it could work.

"Also..."

"Also what!"

"You'll have to talk to the principal. She'll interrogate you, ask you endless questions and stare at you till your soul leaves your body for at least two minutes!!" Meryl described the principal as if she was a cop and I was a suspect that needed a hint of justice. "What's her name?" I asked.

"Ms. Sara Vrown. That's her name."

"Well then, let's have a little chat with Ms. Vrown," I said as I opened the door. Right when I was about to exit, Meryl said, "Wait! There's one more thing!" "Ugh!! What now?" I rolled my eyes and got back inside the car. "She'll ask about my attendance."

"Of course she would ask! Of course, she would be strict!!" I murmured sarcastically.

"So what do you suppose we should do?"

"She might ask for a valid reason and proof to support that."

"What do you mean by valid reason?"

"Students aren't allowed to just be absent. There must be a reason where the parents and the principal are aware of. Also, the reason must be something that holds the students from attending the school."

School policy was one thing, but this was straight-up military camp rules. This was too strict for my type.

"What kind of reason do you recommend?" I asked, hoping it won't be a trouble to the already-complicated work we had. "A medical reason can be it. For some reason, when it comes to health, she's a bit sympathetic," she replied, "But of course, a medical record is hard to forge."

Make a fake medical record. That would be something I couldn't do, but maybe I could ask him for help. "I know a person who can help us," I said in confidence. "Who?" she curiously asked. Without answering, I took my phone and called the person in mind. "Hey! Answer me?" she let out an annoyed tone. I searched through the contacts and found his name. "Zachery," I gave her a short answer. "Zachery? Who's he?" I dialed and answered, "A friend."

It didn't take him long to answer. "Kaz!!! You called!!" he said with a raspy and energetic voice.

"Of course I called."

"You have no idea how much I missed you. I haven't heard from you in a while."

"Zak... We were together just two days ago."

"And it was unbearable! The loneliness was slowly consuming me in the form of boredom."

"Oh, Zak..."

"What? I'm not joking, Kaz."

"..."

"C'mon! Say something. I know you didn't call me just so you can ignore me, did you?"

"No. I called you because I need your help."

"Help? Say it. What do you want?"

"I want you to make a medical record," I said, unintentionally lowering my voice. "What?! That's a forgery!" he bawled in a cranky attitude. "Zak, I know, but it's really necess-" he interrupted me before I could finish my sentence. "Does it have good intention?" "Yes. I just wanted to get in a school for the investigation," I said in an undertone. "The investigation? Kaz! Did you get a lead?!" he asked once he understood what I meant.

"Yes. I think we're getting somewhere. I'll explain everything once we meet up."

"I hope that will be soon. Anyway, the medical record... wait let me bring a paper and a pen to write it down..." he said as his voice faded. I could hear his faint voice, "Where did... I put... that pen?" Soon he came back, with his voice now hearable "I'm back! So! Who will the patient be?"

"Her name's Meryl Lynn."

"Meryl Lynn? Who is she?" he asked in interest. "She's a girl that's helpful for the investigation."

Meryl glared at me. I could tell from her face that she was a bit unpleasant about mentioning her. "Back to the medical record," I shifted the topic. "Her age is 15. The health condition is a severe concussion. The recommended rest is 9 days. Day of injury is 2 days ago," I listed out as Zak murmured what I just said and wrote it down. "... date... October 8... and... done! One more thing, Do you mind if the hospital is HealthAbout hospital? I mean, I can reuse my own medical record to edit it out." "Yeah, sure I don- Wait... Your own medical record?!" I yelped. Meryl stared at me, all puzzled and confused. "Kaz! It's already..." he quivered as he tried to explain. "You're not Ill, right?" I asked in concern. "Don't worry, Kaz. I'm perfectly healthy. It was just a simple check-up." "If that's the case, then it's fine," I said under my breath. "Oh! Kaz! You care too much!" he said in a flattering sense.

"Never mind that. How long will it take you to make the record?"

"At most 10 minutes. It won't take long. Especially when you have a friend who specialized in digital art manipulation."

"I'll wait. Email the image for me once you're done."

"Sure my dear friend," he said and hang up the phone. "That will do. Now we wait," I said as I adjusted my car seat to an inclined position and rested my body.

"Who is he?" Meryl asked. "As I said, he's Zachery. A friend of mine," I answered with my eyes closed. "No! I mean what is he?" she asked again, this time with a slight testy tone.

"A friend..."

"I know he's your friend, but what kind of friend? I mean, you seem to trust him a lot."

"He's my old friend, my childhood friend and my only friend."