Chapter 3- The Last Straw

"Carry on with whatever you needed to do." Jay said to the unit "it's a waiting game now." He continued and walked away back into the break room with Hailey.

"Kelton is who he is." Hailey started whilst they were stood lent against the counter. "His time for reckoning is coming." She continued looking down a little unsure of what else to say. The truth was they didn't really know what was going to happen.

"Not In time for this unit...for us." Jay said and they both just stared into each other's eyes for a second. 'What did he mean? Us.' It made Hailey's heart break. All she wanted to do was lean over and kiss him. They both knew what 'us' meant really.

"We've only been partners a couple of years. You'll forget about me just fine." Hailey said instead, attempting to reassure her partner. Jay hated how self deprecating she was, there was nothing he didn't like about her she was a great person, an excellent cop and got through all the crap life handed her. The only scar was how much of a lack of confidence she had about herself.

"Hailey." Jay said disagreeing with a smirk. 'How could she think that.' She was the best partner he had ever had.

They both stared at each other for a little longer. His eyes just made her feel an instant feeling of reassurance, even though they were more than likely losing their jobs and their whole lives were about to change it seemed like all of that was just numb when he was looking at her. Jay looked as he was going to say something else but looked lost for words so she spoke instead.

"We'll be alright." She said they paused once more and then suddenly Jay moved quickly to close the blinds and then swiftly walked towards Hailey and kissed her. Hailey kissed him back for a few seconds and then held his hand and pushed him back with a hand on his chest.

"Easy, we still work here for at least a few more hours anyway." Hailey said looking at him with a sweet smile, tilting her head slightly.

"I guess we do." Jay said with his typical smooth 'Halstead smile'. Still holding onto his hand slightly she moved to open the blinds then let go of his hand so the others wouldn't notice, but saw they were occupied talking to Platt who had just come up the stairs.

"Whats going on?" Hailey said with files in her arms off of the table in the break room, so it looked like they had been doing something reasonably productive. Jay followed close behind her with a concerned look on his face about why Platt was upstairs.

"IAD are here to arrest Adam. He either comes down and keeps it quiet or they'll come up and put cuffs on him." Platt explained.

"What?" Hailey said looking just as annoyed as the other members of the intelligence unit.

"You don't have to go down there Adam." Burgess said.

"Yeah man you shouldn't have to do that." Kev said.

"Nah I have to. It's alright." Adam said. Clearly it wasn't alright but he didn't have a choice anymore they were out of options he grabbed his jacket and began to put it on.

"We'll come down with you." Burgess offered.

"Nah that's ok thanks but I'd rather you didn't see me like that. I gotta do this on my own." Ruzek said. He said his quick goodbyes to everyone and left. Jay and Hailey both looked at each other with the same concerned, shocked and panicked stricken facial expression as everyone else over what had just happened. How were they going to get out of this?

Thanks for reading more to come soon :)