Smile, Sweetheart! : Becoming Friends

The deer demon wandered down a narrow hallway to his room. He was humming his favorite song, Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile, walking with a slight bounce to his steps when he heard the hushed sound of sobbing, muffled by a closed door.
He listened carefully and followed the sound until it was clear whose room it was coming from.

He knocked on the door, keeping one arm behind his back, his microphone staff in hand, and leaned towards the door. "Oh Charlie~" he sang, "Is everything okay in there, darling?" The sounds stopped, and he heard a slight gasp. Alastor stood silently in the dimly lit hallway, waiting patiently for her to open the door. She heard someone peep, "A-Al?" It sounded like she was on the other side of the door, probably with her ear pressed against it. The tall male was glad to hear her speak, although her voice sounded shaky. It concerned him enough that he was about ready to open the door and walk in without asking. "Yes dear, it's me. I couldn't help but overhear some peculiar sounds coming from your room! It sounds like you're cry-" before he could finish speaking, the door was opened and he was yanked into her room. The door was slammed shut behind him.

Alastor looked at the door then looked at Charlie, whose makeup was runny, her hair was a mess, and her desk was covered by empty pint-sized containers of ice cream and popsicle wrappers. Her eyes were stained with tears as she wrapped her arms around Alastor for comfort. Instinctively, the male winced away. He wasn't very fond of being touched. The blonde apologized through her whimpers and sniffled. "It's quite alright I just prefer not to be touched is all. So what's the matter doll? I haven't seen a lady cry this hard in a while!" Charlie walked slowly over to a recliner chair in her room and slumped into it. "V-Vaggie broke u-up with me!" She said, looking at nothing in particular. Alastor felt a twinge of remorse for the ex-couple. He had always seen them as inseparable, thick as thieves. He wasn't sure why they decided to break up out of no where... what had he missed?

Alastor's staff vanished in a puff of black smoke, and he walked slowly over to his crying co-worker. He gently put a hand on her shoulder. "Do you mind if I ask why?" Charlie looked at him and bit her lip to keep from sobbing, "Well we've been getting into a lot of arguments lately a-and she said... she said it was because we're too different... and that I've lost touch with reality," Charlie sniffled, "She said she would always support me b-but she... but she..." it was clear that the blonde couldn't finish what she was saying. Alastor's arm moved around her shoulders, and he kept himself from wincing away when she leaned into his chest to cry into his tux blazer. "There there, Charlie. It won't hurt forever..." she sobbed loudly, "Yes it will!"

Alastor chuckled softly, "No, darling. It won't. Nothing hurts forever. Loss may be difficult to get over; loss of any degree... but I promise you that time does heal the heart if only you'll permit its entry."

Charlie looked up at him, and he handed her a small red cloth from his inner coat pocket. She took it gently and dried her eyes, a frown still taking over her face. It was only seconds before she noticed her mascara stained his blazer. She whimpered again, drawing Alastor's crimson eyes the black splotch. "I'm so sorry," she smiled small, and apologetically, a hint of embarrassment accompanying the expression before it returned to a frown. The radio demon pinched her cheeks, "Don't sweat it baby!"

"Baby?" Charlie gave him a questioning look. But shook off the new nickname; it wasn't his fault he was so old fashioned. He died in 1933. He was used to using countless nicknames for women whether he was in a relationship with them or not. Alastor removed the stained blazer to reveal a red and white striped button up shirt. "You know something, Charlie..." he began. The demon-born looked down at the handkerchief she was holding with both hands. "You really don't look that great when you're frowning. Smile sweetheart!" He lifted her chin with a long finger. She looked up at him, shocked. "And keep your chin up. Your tiara is falling."

Alastor spent that night at Charlie's side, cheering her up with stories of the era he was most lively in; the roaring 20's! He talked and talked, enticing laughter here and there from the broken-hearted female. And every time she looked as if she was about to cry again, he would summon shadow-like tentacles to tickle the sadness out of her and make her keep laughing.

It was late when she finally fell asleep with dried tears on her cheeks. The red-head's smile became a warm one as he gazed down at her slumbering form.

A smile was plastered to her face through the night.

//I KNOW IT'S SHORT but there it is *^* I hope you enjoyed the first chapter!