chapter 1

Melinda Cavanaugh was the new girl in town. She wasn't sure what to make of her new home. Her father was given a new job and a personal family matter which moved the family. Melinda stared out the window as she saw several unfamiliar faces and wasn't sure if she would like this moving experience or not.

"Now, Melinda, isn't this better than the farm?" Mr. Cavanaugh, Melinda's father asked as he drove his daughter away.

Melinda looked back. "Daddy, why did we have to go?"

Mr. Cavanaugh heaved a sigh. "I know you'll miss the animals, but I promise, my old friends going to take care of them from now on."

"Why couldn't Mama come with us?"

Mr. Cavanaugh paused again.

"Daddy?"

Mr. Cavanaugh didn't want to tell her truth, but he thought of a way to lie, but not in a way to hurt her feelings. "Melinda, you know your mama's been sick in bed a while and needed to stay... She had to spend a lot of nights in the hospital and couldn't come home. Mama's in a better place, you'll understand when you're older."

Melinda sighed and continued to look out the window. Grown-ups always said stuff like that. 'You'll understand when you're older', they would say when they wanted to know why their lost family members wouldn't come home. 'She's in a better place now'. If that was true, why wouldn't Mrs. Cavanaugh take Melinda and her husband with her? Melinda slowly shut her eyes, thinking of her mother and opened them again once the car stopped.

"Come on, Mel, we're ready." Mr. Cavanaugh told his daughter.

Melinda sighed and stepped out of the car. She held her old sock monkey. Her mother made it for her on her first birthday. Melinda wanted to learn sewing from her mother, but now it seems it's too late for that. The girl helped and watched her father unpack. Mr. Cavanaugh saw that his daughter was weary and bored.

"Mel, why don't you go see if you can make some friends?" he offered. "I'll unpack for you and get your things ready. Your new room and house will be something to look forward to."

Melinda heaved a gentle sigh and left her new yard. She looked all around her new neighborhood for some children her age. She saw a rather large group of kids together.

"Stu, I don't think this is such a good idea..." the red-headed boy whined.

"Aw, Chas, don't be such a baby!" the purple haired boy, Stu, told him as he looked around with a magnifying glass.

"Well, I'm bored of standin' around here, why don't we have a tea party?" the blonde girl asked.

"That sounds lovely!" the other nervous boy said.

"Pass..." the brown-haired girl who wore boys clothes rolled her eyes.

"Hey, there's a weird girl starin' at us!" the brown-haired boy in glasses pointed to Melinda.

The kids stopped what they were doing and looked at her.

"Umm... Hi..." Melinda greeted, nervously and shyly, holding her sock monkey close as if it had some kind of security to protect her from bullies.

"Who are you supposed to be?" the blonde girl asked, wrinkling her nose.

"I-I'm Melinda, I just moved here." the strawberry blonde girl introduced herself, still a little nervous around a large group of kids.

"Moving can be scary, we moved a lot when I was growin' up." the red-headed boy said.

Melinda smiled at him. She felt a bit happy that someone was talking to her and acknowledging her shyness. "Who are you all?"