CHAPTER THREE

edited 2022

❞𝗠𝗔𝗦𝗢𝗡,❞ 𝗚𝗥𝗜𝗭𝗭 softly said as he rubbed circles on his friend's back until her brown eyes meet his hazel ones.

This wasn't the first time they'd fallen asleep together. Mason always went to Grizz's sports events, cheering him on from the bleachers. The games would go late, and the boys always went back to Grizz's for drinks, alongside Mason.

"Hmm?" Mason mumbled. She nuzzled her head into the blankets breathing in the scent.

"Cassandra just texted, she wants us at the church," Grizz explained moving out from under the covers.

Mason peaked up in time to get a glimpse of Grizz's defined back muscles as he pulled his green champion hoodie off and tossed it towards Mason. He smiled once he noticed Mason's eyes on him, she scrunched her nose up pretending to be grossed out by the sight of his defined muscles.

Without giving Grizz any warning, Mason pulled her shirt off and tossed it to the bed beside her. Grizz felt himself get flushed as his eyes racked down her bare chest which was only covered by her black lace bra. He watched as she pulled his green hoodie over her head and felt something tingle inside of him.

"You're so cute." He found himself saying out loud.

"What?" Mason asked scrunching her nose together.

"I mean like just not your looks are cute but your personality too. The things you say are cute," Grizz rambled, "your voice is cute. How you talk to me is so cute. I like talking to you I like it. I like how I can call you in the middle of the night and talk until now about us falling asleep. Even though you can be weird sometimes, I still like that."

"Thank you?" Mason cautiously said. Grizz always complimented her, especially after her breakdowns recently. So, she thought nothing of it.

. . .

As the two approached the group, Harry shot Mason a scowl at her attire. Of course, she'd show up with Grizz wearing his hoodie. Cassandra, Luke, Allie, Will, and Sam were already gathered waiting for the rest to show up.

"I'll get a car and go to Greenwich to get help," Cassandra offered.

"Why you?" Harry asked moving so he was placed between Mason and Grizz.

"Someone has to find out where everyone went." Allie explained directing her comment at Harry, "We can't all go."

"I'll do it," Harry argued eyeing the concrete below his feet.

"Are you even sober?" Mason questioned.

"Fuck off," Harry scowled, "you're not either. Luke, let's see if we can get the guys to come with."

Luke lifted his head, he looked like complete shit. "Yeah. Yeah, let's go."

"You coming?" Grizz offered a hand out to Mason. The two followed Harry to his BMW, groaning about the light and Cassandra's voice being extra annoying this morning.

Harry started the engine and the car roared to life as everyone pilled into it. Clark, Luke, and Grizz sat squished in the back seat grumbling the whole ride about Mason being the smallest one of them and getting the front.

"So, as a rule, the more bizarre a thing seems, the less mysterious it is. Arthur Conan Doyle?" Grizz tried to explain to Clark.

"You know this shit?" Clark asked patting Harry on the shoulder.

"No," Harry scoffed, "Mason does."

"Who the fuck is he," Luke grumbled, clearly very hungover.

"He was a British writer, who created the character, Sherlock Holmes," Mason explained rolling her eyes.

Harry, Grizz, and her used to pretend to be Sherlock Holmes when they were little and investigate around the house. That was until they walked in on their parents. Not something nine-year-olds wanted to see.

"The point is," Grizz said rolling his eyes, "there's an explanation for everything."

"What does that have to do with Arthur Conan Boyle, dude?" Clark asked, heightening Mason's level of not wanting to be in the car.

"It's Doyle," Grizz said, "and you're hopeless."

Masons' brown eyes widened as she directed her attention to the dead-end Harry was quickly approaching. He slammed on his brakes, switched it into park, and hopped out of the car. Mason rested her arms against the windshield and watched as Harry turned around the look at the group with a blank expression. They were trapped.

Harry hopped back into the car, racing to the other side of town. The tires of his car screeched as he came to an abrupt halt infant of the Tain tracks. As everyone claimed out of the car, no one said anything.

They were all too scared to face the truth. The truth is they were trapped in this small town, the town they had all been so excited to leave. The group stood on the train tracks waiting for a train to arrive. To bring their parents and families. Bring food, water, anything.

. . .

A MESSAGE FROM GRAEYSONN:

[I just wanted to thank everyone quickly for the reads and comments. It motivates me to continue writing. I used to major in creative writing before getting accepted into Child and Youth Care and couldn't find the time to write anymore.]