Chapter 3

Another sleepless night for Bellatrix brought her to the teachers lounge. The fire was lit and there she lay curled up under a blanket, book in hand. Her room was too lonely, too loud, the voices, she couldn't sleep, she couldn't think, so she came here. She often did when she couldn't sleep. The teachers lounge always did seem cosier late in the night with just the flickering flames and the absence of insufferable colleagues who laugh and snort all the time merrily chatting about nonsense that bored Bellatrix so much she'd rather stick pins in her ears.

Bellatrix turns the page, then reaches for her flask of whiskey, however that soon changed when a certain pair of heels clicking against the stone floor caught her attention. The door opened and there in the hallway stood the figure Bellatrix least wanted to see.
"Great, just great." Bellatrix mumbles as she took a mouthful of her whisky.
"Drinking again?"
"What's it to you?" Bellatrix made no effort to look at the woman, trying to focus on her book, however it wasn't so easy when the letters were moving around the page.

Minerva sighs as she walks further into the room.
"Frankly I'm surprised you can do anything with the amount you drink."
"Oh here we go, another lecture from the ever so perfect Minerva Mcgonagall." Bellatrix said irritably, scrunching her eyes, trying to focus on the word that currently was not staying still.

Minerva rolls her eyes, regretting ever entering this room. She never did like being left alone with Bellatrix, the woman was down right mean, especially to her, and she was cold, argumentative and cruel.
Minerva should just leave... but then that would be giving in, and Minerva Mcgonagall did not give in, so with Bella's cold argumentative nature and Minerva's stubbornness of not being defeated they definitely were not a great mix.

Minerva made herself a cup of tea and sat directly opposite the woman from hell.
Bellatrix felt like throwing the book at her, but then that would ruin her pretty face.
Bellatrix inhales, this was going to be a nightmare.

A few seconds past before Minerva broke the silence.
"For the record, I made you coffee."
"Why?"
Minerva didn't really know why, she was making herself tea and without realising began making coffee for the woman.
She knew Bellatrix liked coffee with just milk because she has one every morning, sometimes she'd add an extra ingredient but something told Minerva she's had enough of that ingredient already.
"Because I did." Minerva responds.

"Could of brought it over..." Bellatrix mumbles as she gets to her feet, stumbling slightly.
Minerva took a sip of her tea to hide her growing smirk.
"Shut up." Bellatrix snaps.
"I didn't say anything." Minerva defended
"No but you were thinking it, I saw it in your eyes, and the way you tried to cover your little smirk." Bellatrix narrows her eyes, completely oblivious to the fact she'd just blurted out that she does indeed pay attention to Minerva Mcgonagall.
"For someone who ignores me, you seem to notice a lot more than half of my friends." Minerva arches her brow, curiosity seeping in. Not even Albus noticed she does that.

"And for someone so intelligent you're the blindest idiot I've ever met." Bellatrix snaps before making her way to her waiting coffee.
"And just what do you mean by that?" Minerva rises to her feet, hot on the other woman's trails.
"Why are you following me like a sheep, bugger off and leave me drink my coffee."
"The coffee which I made you." Minerva huffs, slowly but surly losing her patience.
"Yeah, now bugger off so I can drink it."
"Would a thank you kill you?"
"Yes as a matter of fact it would, now run along little kitty, the cruel heartless bitch wants to be left alone."
"You're unbelievable!" Minerva frowns.
"I'll take that as a compliment." Bellatrix smiles falsely.
"I must of said it wrong." Minerva responds before returning to her previous seat. Bellatrix growls upon seeing this.
Now she was just going to sit there, sipping her tea and tormenting the hell out of Bellatrix.

Bellatrix made her way back to her seat, eyes focused on her hot beverage trying to ignore the other woman in the room. A few minutes went by with complete silence filling the room, Bellatrix couldn't help but glance at the woman who stared at her tea, her eyebrows knitted together. She was thinking, Bellatrix could see the clockwork turning in the woman's head and knew exactly what was to come.
"What do you mean by a blind idiot?"
"Nothing Minerva, just drink your tea."
"No, I want to know what you meant by that."
"Just drop it."
"No, there's clearly something you want to say so just say it. I'm a big girl I can handle it."
Bellatrix inhales why was the woman so difficult?

"You're oblivious to things happening around you, you're so caught up in work or your so called friends problems and trying to help them out you don't focus on you, you don't let your hair down. And you certainly don't pay attention to the person who tries so damn hard to get your attention and to show you that you deserve better than this shit to the point, that person hates you and wants to lob a book directly into your annoying prettily structured always so stern face!" Bellatrix did try to control her voice, but it didn't end very well and she may have raised her voice slightly towards the end.

Minerva swallows, she certainly wasn't expecting that. Bellatrix inhales, pinching the bridge of her nose. Now she'd done it, but it just slipped out. She didn't even realise what she was saying until it was too late. Bellatrix wasn't entirely sure whether Minerva had picked up on the aggressive compliment she'd thrown at her, if she had she definitely didn't show it, She reaches for her whiskey and pours some into her coffee, already sensing the brewing comment about drinking too much on the tip of the other woman's tongue.
"Not a word Mcgonagall, Not a word." Bellatrix warns as she brought the drink to her lips.
Silence past between them, but it was to good to last. Curiosity was too much.
"Why do you drink so much?"

Bellatrix stops all that she was doing, her eyes slowly moved towards the woman who's lips the question left. She lowers her drink.
"Why?"
"Because I asked"
"Yes, but why did you ask?"
Minerva didn't really know what to say other than she was curious as to what did drive the woman to drink so much.
"Curiosity I suppose..."
"Well You know what curiosity did..."
"You know, you make it really difficult to like you."
"Oh dear, and here I was thinking of how wonderfully likeable I am." Bellatrix sips her coffee.
"Jackass"
"Takes one to know one" the woman raises her mug and gives Minerva a nod before drinking the remains of her drink.