Chapter 4: Home

Suzy leaned back in the generously sized seat while sipping the champagne the stewardess had brought them. She had tried to book Economy class, but Vincent wouldn't hear of it. Then he had to go and tell everyone that they just got engaged and order champagne to celebrate.

"You mind taking it down a notch?" Suzy asked in hushed tone.

"What, honey?" he smiled at her.

"That. Vincent, seriously, aren't you going a little too far with this?"

"We want to make it look believable, aren't we?"

"Yes, but…"

"Then why wouldn't I want to tell the world I'm marrying this beautiful woman," he said, his voice raised for the last five words, making sure no one in first class missed his proclamation.

"Ugh, just… promise you won't act this way when we get to Hopeland, okay?"

"I promise, I'll behave."

"Why do I find that so hard to believe?" Suzy sighed.

"So tell me more about your family. After all, they're going to be my new in-laws."

"Well… my dad's a Chemist. A true gentleman, protective but cool. My mom's an artist. She spends long days at our lake house, painting. She donates her work to charity. Hopeland is big on charities. She bought me my first journal, pushed me into writing. She's the reason I love books so much."

"But your dream is to be an editor?" Vincent frowned.

"Yes. I love writing, but I don't feel I'm good enough to pursue it as a career. Editing… it lets me be a part of the creative process, and I couldn't think of a better career. What about you? What made you go into publishing?"

"I've always had a gift for editing. My little brother kept a diary – journal, he called it – and I would proofread it and leave him little comments in the margins. Especially on his excessive use of adjectives."

"You did not!" Suzy giggled and punched his arm.

Vincent laughed. "Yeah, I kinda did… but, no, it wasn't an early expression of my editing abilities. I only did it to mess with him. I don't know, I was always an avid reader, I guess. And my father hated the arts, so of course I had to study that."

"You said your father wanted you to take over the family business. What was it?"

"Winemaking. Lee Winery is one of the largest wineries in Dobong district. I'm not sure how much of it really makes onto the market, though. Father probably drinks it all himself," he muttered under his breath.

"Sorry?"

"Nothing. So, is your brother more like your father or your mother?"

"My mom, definitely. He's a great artist. He does artwork for a couple of magazines."

"And your Korean friend? Lee Jieun, was it? Woah we have the same surname, she must be amazing."

"Yeah, she is. She's an herbalist. She has a little shop where she sells herbal teas, essential oils, extracts and other stuff for medicinal purposes."

"Oh, so she's a witch?" Vincent asked and sipped his champagne.

"No," Suzy rolled her eyes. "She's also our designated town singer."

"Got it, so… anything else I need to know before I meet your family?"

"Nope, can't think of anything."

××××××××××

"Mom, Dad, hi! I missed you both so much!" Suzy exclaimed when she spotted her parents at the airport.