Chapter 9: Bed

Suzy's expression fell. She couldn't get Halmeoni's words out of her head and she did not want to go to the winery with Sungjae if that was what he had in store for her. Then she caught herself. This was Vincent's brother, for crying out loud. He wouldn't put the moves on his brother's girlfriend. She was being ridiculous. Maybe the sun was frying her brain. Suzy felt her forehead. Yup, definitely burning up.

"Actually, I'm feeling a little lightheaded. I think I've been out in the sun for too long. Would you mind if I took a nap before dinner?" she looked at Vincent.

"Of course not, hon," Vincent said. "You should drink plenty of fluids, though," he said, his voice filled with genuine concern.

"I will, I promise," Suzy gave him a weak smile.

"I'll have Soo-young bring you some water," Sungjae said.

Suzy frowned at the look the two brothers exchanged, but she chalked it up to sunstroke. She was probably just imagining things.

As Suzy made her way upstairs she could hear the argument starting up again. Brothers, she shook her head. She and Sander had had some loud fights back in the day, too.

Suzy dug out an oversized T-shirt from her suitcase and slipped it on, getting under the covers of the queen-, empress- or whatever-sized bed. She soon discovered it was far too hot to sleep under the thick covers and threw all of them off, save for a thin sheet. The sheets themselves were cool and relaxing against her overheated skin.

After a little while, there was a timid knock on the door and Suzy called out, "Come in."

Soo-young entered with a pitcher of ice water and a tall glass. "Yeogi dangsin-ui mul-i issseubnida."

"Gamsahamnida," Suzy smiled and slipped out of bed, taking the tray from her.

"Ye," Soo-young curtsied bow and scurried out of the room before Suzy had a chance to say anything else.

Suzy wanted to ask the young woman how she was doing, but it really wasn't her place, was it? She was certainly not used to having other people cater to her every need, and even though the Lees didn't seem to be entirely dependent on hired help, it still seemed foreign to her. She poured a glass of water and drank it all in one long gulp. She really must be dehydrated.

xxxxxxx

After another tiring conversation with his father and Richard Bae, where they both tried to convince him to come clean, Vincent went upstairs to ask if Suzy wanted to come down for dinner. He tapped gently on the door, and when there was no response, he edged the door open.

Vincent found her fast asleep on the bed. She had kicked off all the covers save for one sheet, who was draped over half her body. One of her magnificent legs had broken free of its silken prison and he couldn't help admiring the smooth, milky surface.

Realizing she would probably freak out if she caught him looking at her while she slept, he approached the bed and gently touched her shoulder. "Suzy," he said softly, "wake up, honey."

Suzy stirred and let out a small moan. Vincent gritted his teeth. "Suzy," he said a little louder.

"Huh?"

"Hey. How are you feeling?"

She slowly sat up in bed. "Uh… a little dizzy."

"Here," Vincent said, pouring her a glass of water and holding it to her lips.

She took it from him and drank. "Thank you."

"Would you like to come down for dinner?"

"Uh… yeah… sure. When?"

"Twenty minutes or so?"

"Yes. I'll just have a quick shower first, if that's ok?"

"Take your time," Vincent said and left the room.

xxxxxx

As Suzy walked into the dining room, she felt all eyes were suddenly on her. She had put on a flowery sundress that reached just below the knees and showed off her flawless skin. She had pulled up her hair in a high ponytail and tied a ribbon around it. She looked young and fresh and drew the attention of all males in the room.

Suzy shifted, slightly uncomfortable with the attention, and was grateful when Vincent rose to pull out a chair for her next to him.

"How nice of you to join us, Suzyssi," Lee Seungwon drawled.

Suzy glanced over at Vincent with an anxious look in her eyes. Had she kept them waiting long? Vincent shook his head in silent reply to her unspoken question. Ignore him, his eyes told her.

"Dinner is served!" Halmeoni proclaimed, entering the dining room with a large earthenware vessel of steaming hot pasta and sauce.

"So, Chairman Lee," Richard turned to Halmeoni halfway through the meal. "How do you feel about your grandson's upcoming wedding?"

"I could not be happier," she replied with a warm smile directed at Suzy.

"And how do you feel about your grandson permanently taking up residence in the United States?"

"I would be overjoyed to have my grandson here with me, along with his lovely wife and many great-grandchildren, but Seunggi will make his own decisions in life. He has always been strong, and I admire that greatly about him. I am so happy to see he has found a woman as brave as him to love."

Suzy felt her eyes brimming with tears at the older woman's affectionate description of her. What would she think of her when they divorced in a short while after their wedding? Vincent, noticing her distress, reached out and took her hand, squeezing it gently.

"Yes, brave she is indeed," President Lee Seungwon took a swig of his wine.

Thankfully, Sungjae changed the subject and started telling Richard about the vineyard and the winery, and Suzy could swallow her tears along with her wine.

When dinner was coming to an end, she went into the kitchen to offer to help with the dishes. Halmeoni agreed and handed her a towel.

"Your English is almost perfect, Halmeoni," Suzy said as she was drying a plate. "Vincent said you speak it fluently…"

"And he told you to ask me how?"

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," Suzy said quickly.

"My husband had died in a farming accident just weeks before a young man arrived here, looking for an inspiration for his next film. He was a Korean producer, and he told me that he was working with several American actors to create a film to capture the essence of passionate love. One of the Americans was very curious about the winery, and I showed it to him. He stayed for many months and I learned his language. He learned mine, too," she winked.

Suzy was again rendered speechless by Chairman Lee Minyoung. She wondered how many stories of lust and love this woman had to tell.

"So you see why I enjoy the winery so much. It holds many fond memories for me."

Suzy nodded.

"Now, go upstairs to my handsome grandson, and I shall finish the dishes. My days of passion filled nights may be over, but yours are merely beginning."

Suzy found herself blushing. Again. She thanked Halmeoni for dinner and went upstairs. She wasn't surprised to see the bedroom empty. Vincent was probably still talking to Sungjae or arguing with his father.

The room was still warm, so she dug out the thinnest pajamas she could find – a silky, lace trimmed camisole with matching boxers. She threw the heavy covers on the floor and one of the pillows on top of it. Vincent was definitely sleeping on the floor. She crept under the thin silken sheet and drifted off to sleep.