Chapter 6: Lucky

"Mr. Lee. Miss Bae. How nice to see you again," Richard Bae said in a faux-pleasant voice with an equally fake smile plastered on his face.

"I would say the same," Suzy said curtly, "but I wouldn't want to deceive the US government, now would I?"

"Feisty little minx, isn't she?" Richard said to Vincent, only infuriating Suzy more.

"I'd watch my tongue if I were you," Vincent said between clenched teeth and took a step forward.

"Now, Mr. Lee, that wouldn't be you threatening a federal officer, would it?"

"I'm sure the US government would be very interested in how you address one of its citizens," Vincent said, a warning tone in his voice.

"The US government also takes an interest in suspected fraud, so I would watch my tongue if I were you, Mr. Lee."

"Flight 1864 to Seoul South Korea now boarding at gate 9," a female voice announced over the speakers, thankfully interrupting the tension building between the two men.

"That's us," Vincent said and flashed a loving smile at Suzy for Richard's benefit. "Come on, hon." He picked up his carry-on and offered his arm to her.

Suzy, knowing she was under scrutiny by Richard, slipped her arm through Vincent's and leaned her head against his shoulder. "I can't wait to meet your family, honey."

Richard Bae rolled his eyes as he followed the couple onto the airplane. It was an act, he was sure of it. Taking down someone like Vincent Lee would be a feather in his cap, for sure. It might even get him that promotion he'd been gunning for.

Vincent had, of course, made sure that he and Suzy had tickets for first class, and Richard was stuck in coach. He also made sure that Richard was sent a complimentary glass of champagne to celebrate their upcoming wedding.

"How are you doing?" Vincent said in a low voice as Suzy had spent the last hour or so staring out the window.

"I'm nervous, Vincent."

"About?" He gestured towards the back of the plane.

"No. Yes, but... I'm scared to meet your family. What if they hate me?"

"They could never hate you, Suzy. Besides, what does it matter?"

"Well, I want your family to like me."

"Why?"

"Well... I... I just want people to like me," she shrugged, looking back out the window.

"Your mom didn't particularly like me." He shrugged.

"No, she was just... she was angry with me for... well, for a lot of things. I haven't been the best daughter to her."

"She wants to be a part of your life," Vincent deduced.

"Yeah..."

"Did you tell her we were planning on a civil marriage?"

"No. I was about to when you walked in and announced we were going to South Korea."

"Are you sad we didn't get to spend more time with your parents?"

"No. We were only supposed to stay the weekend, so... Honestly, I was relieved to be going back. I don't think I could have stayed a minute longer at home with them asking questions about the wedding, about us..."

"But your friends? You hadn't seen them in years, right?"

"Well, since Jieun and Sander left for their honeymoon right after the wedding, there wasn't really anyone I wanted to spend time with left in town."