Chapter 2: The Worst Pirates You've Heard Of

I really thought that the girl was going to answer me. But Jack and I were rushed to our feet by Norrington. I look up at his face - his brown eyes were ice cold and full of hatred. The feeling is mutual, however. I despise his existence.

The girl scrambles to her feet. She looks absolutely terrified of Norrington, which might I add is ridiculous.

I try to count the number of guns currently being pointed at Jack and I, but I got bored before I could finish. It's a shame. That could have been a personal record.

The governor orders the guards to shoot Jack and I. That's strange, I thought that the punishment for piracy was the hangman's noose. Oh well, guns are faster anyway.

"James," the girl speaks for the first time instead of just standing there with that concerned expression on her face. "Do you really intend to kill my rescuers?"

Norrington turns to look at her and gives her a cold glare. She winces and shuts her mouth.

He turns to Jack. "I believe thanks are in order," he says, extending his hand.

Jack looks at his outstretched hand suspiciously as if he'll catch some sort of disease by shaking his hand. He gingerly shakes his hand, but Norrington simply raises his shirt sleeve to reveal the "P" branded into Jack's skin. It's a symbol of piracy. I have one too.

"Had a brush with the East India Trading Company, did we, pirate?" Norrington spits out the word pirate.

"Hang him," the governor orders. This guy needs to get more clear orders. They didn't hang us because you told them to shoot us.

Norrington rolls up his sleeve a bit more to reveal Jack's tattoo.

"Well well, Jack Sparrow," Norrington smirks.

Before Jack can retort, he moves over to me and reveals my brand and tattoo. He gasps. "Eve Freeman?"

"Captain Eve Freeman, actually. And that's Captain Jack Sparrow as well," I reply. If we were getting arrested, might as well have the correct titles.

"I don't see your ship, Captains," Norrington smugly replies.

"We're in the market," Jack replies, "as it were."

"They said they'd commandeer one," one of the guards decides to add. Maybe we shouldn't have told them the truth. The other one snatches Jack's effects out of my hands.

"These are his, sir," he says, before I can get them back. "Told you he was telling the truth."

Norrington sorts through Jack's effects. "No additional shot, nor powder," he says, examining Jack's pistol. "A compass that doesn't point north," he says, holding up Jack's compass.

North isn't all that special. Trust me, I've been there.

He pulls out Jack's sword. "And I half expected it to be made of wood," he smirks.

I half expected your face to be made of wood.

"You are without doubt the worst pirates I've ever heard of," Norrington concludes.

"But you have heard of us," Jack replies.

I chuckle and Norrington turns to me. "You find this funny?"

"Yes, very," I reply casually. "Hilarious, in fact. I'm going to process this and laugh at your horrible comebacks later."

Norrington's face turns a bright red.

"Arrest her," he turns to the other soldier. "Go fetch some irons."

The soldier comes back with two pairs of irons. While Jack and I are being cuffed, the other girl speaks up.

"Commodore, I really must protest!" The girl who almost drowned shrugs off the blanket that was wrapped around her and walks toward Jack. "Pirates or not, these people saved my life!"

"One good deed is not enough to redeem a lifetime of wickedness," Norrington replies.

"But it seems enough to condemn it," I add.

"Indeed," Norrington says.

Once the soldiers finish cuffing our hands, they walk away. I pull out my pistol that I had hidden under my clothes and point it at the girl's head while Jack throws the chains around her neck.

"Stop! Don't shoot!" the governor cries.

Jack smirks. "I knew you'd warm up to me. Gentlemen, my effects please."

The commodore sheepishly hands him his effects. Jack makes the girl put them on him.

"Gentlemen, ladies, you will always remember this as the day you almost caught Captains Jack Sparrow and Eve Freeman!"

He shoves the girl forward and we take off. Jack kicks a rope and we go flying up to a higher beam.

From there, they start firing at us. We put our chains over the rope and zipline down to the ground. We run as fast as we can into a blacksmith shop. Maybe here we can get these bloody chains off.

They wouldn't find us. We're too fast and way too clever. At least, I think. I hope.