Chapter 4: Return of the Black Pearl

I wake up in a dark, damp jail cell.  "Where the hell am I?" I mutter.

"Ah, you're awake!" Jack says. 

I sit up, rubbing my head.  "Yes.  What happened?  I don't remember a thing."

"He shoved you off the board.  You hit the ground pretty hard and blacked out," Jack explains. 

"How'd we end up here?" I ask. 

"I cheated and used my gun.  I was about to shoot my way out, but the bloody drunk blacksmith happened to wake up and knocked me out," he replies.

I lean my head against the stone wall, smiling.  "Wonderful," I chuckle sarcastically.  "Now how are we getting out of this one?"

"I have no idea, love."

Without anything to do, I return my memories. 

I had just finished watching my crew die.  My eyes were red of tears.  I never cry.  It takes a lot to get me to tear up, let alone bawl. 

I was standing near the rail, staring off at the sea.  The sky was dark and there were thousands of stars, clouding the sky. 

When I was young, my mother and father had told me that each star represented a good soul who died.  They're name would be immortal.  My crew is now up there with the stars.  After my father died at sea, my mother had gone insane.  I was beaten and threatened nearly every day for seven years until I ran away.  But that was a whole other story. 

"Are you alright, love?" I turn around to see Jack Sparrow. 

"I'm fine," I say, wiping my eyes.  My voice is emotionless.

"You;'re staying in the Captain's quarters, if you were wondering.  Seeing that as you're used to being a Captain," he says.

"Why do you want me here?" I ask.

"You're Eve Freeman - feared across the seas," he says simply.

"If you think that you can get someone to pay ransom for me, you're wrong.  My crew is dead and there's no one left that cares about me," I say.

"That's not what I had in mind.  You're beautiful, fiesty, charming and I want you around," he says.

I roll my eyes.  "I hope you realize that I'm not a whore either."

He rolls his eyes.  "I hope you realize that I'm not an assulter of women, love.  Besides, I'd rather have you on my side that against me."

I smile weakly and lean a little too far against the rail and fall over.  My eyes widen in fear, but I don't cry out.  I hold onto the rail, determind not to fall in.  When I'm scared, I don't scream or cry.  Instead, fear paralizes me.  I can't talk, I can't move, I'm stuck and can do nothing about it.  And that's what's happening right now.

"Grab my hand, love," Jack shouts to me.  I look at his hand for a second.  I had a choice.  I could grab his hand and live, or not and join my crew in the stars.  Thinking this through, I grab his hand and he pulls me up. 

Breathing heavily, I lay down on the deck.  "You've had quite the day, love," he says, chuckling.

"I'm going to bed," I say, finally mustering the strength to speak again.

I walk into the Captain's quarters and search the cabin for any nightgowns.  I find one surprisingly and pull off my clothes.  Before I slip into the dress, I brush my fingers across my back.  The back that was abused every single day for seven years.  I have the scars to prove it.  Every whip lash, every knife cut is there.  Only covered.  I got a tattoo.  It's of a pirate ship.  Every line covers a scar.  If you look closely, you can see the scars that still hurt if you touch them.