.09

"Good afternoon miss Raine!" The chime of Eleanor's voice rings as she pulls the curtains open. Floods of light wash over the room and I nearly drown in the sun's sweet rays. I tug the quilt over my head as I am desperate for darkness and the hope of more slumber.

"Can I sleep in?" I groan under the weight of the fabric. The commotion of Eleanor and likely a few more maids draws me out of my sweet sleep.

"You have slept in, miss Raine. It's past noon already." Her fingers pull tight on the quilt and she pulls it off. I'm welcomed by her round eyes and an unfamiliar smile. She grins wide as she offers a hand to help me out of bed.

"Miss Raine, he confirmed my name! I am Eleanor after all. I knew it! It's an amazing feeling to now, finally, who I am!" Her eyes big and bright as she sings her news to me. I watch her dance back towards the windows, her disheveled hair swaying as she glides.

"Eleanor, that's wonderful! Who is he? Who confirmed this for you?" I watch her open the windows and a soft breeze begins to fill the room's air.

"Much better! Fresh air!" She is practically beaming. A part of her seems to be restored. I am so happy for her, of course, but more than anything I am confused by her sudden change of nature. "Miss Raine, it was Mr. Heartland who told me!" Her words are clear but there is simply no way Atlas had anything to do with this wonderful news.

"Mr. H-Heartland?" I stutter back to her. My voice carrying obvious uncertainty.

"Yes! I feel like I've been in the dark and now I'm facing the sun!" Her arms open wide as she faces the window. I smile at her beauty and her innocence. Sweet Eleanor must be sixteen or so. It hurts my heart that she's here, regardless of the sudden spurt of joy she is feeling.

She clasps her hands together as she turns back towards me. There's a light in her that has surely been forgotten in months and surely years past.

Is she still occupied by programmings? Is she finally free?

"Miss Raine," she pulls me out of my depressed yet hopeful thoughts, "I have your schedule for the day written here on this list. I must attend to the kitchen, but these ladies will help you ready for the day. As you can see, you have a little over an hour to shower and dress." She hands me a piece of paper, smiles a genuine smile, and departs from my bedroom door.

I glance at the clock hung right above my bathroom door. 12:03 PM it reads. I did sleep in, huh? I look down at the list and audibly let out a groan at today's events.

12:00 PM - 1:10 PM
Prepare for the day. Clean & Dress.
1:15 PM - 2:15 PM
Lunch in the Gardens with Mr. Heartland
2:30 PM - 4:00 PM
Wardrobe Fittings & Alterations
5:10 PM - 6:10 PM
Dinner in the Dining Room with Mr. Heartland
6:15 PM - 9:15 PM
Tour of Manor & Island with Mr. Heartland

I reread the list a few times and roll my eyes each time Atlas' name appears and he is involved. I guess this is going to be my anticipated punishment that he so often brings to my attention.

The punishment I don't deserve.

Although, I must admit and have it be known, it seems to me that he is attempting to treat me better, right? Perhaps this is him trying to treat me like an actual human as opposed to a prisoner.

A girl can only hope.

The three women move swiftly past one another as they begin a steamy shower and urge me towards it. I sure miss the privacy of casual showers. Here I am, though, grateful that at least those helping me bathe and dress are women.

I step out of the shower and am immediately thrown in a snug robe. They plop me down on a stool and begin dabbing my face with different colored powders, drying my hair while simultaneously straightening the dried strands, and holding up different colored and textured fabrics to my skin.