3 | Derrick

This girl intrigued me.

I could sense there was more to her than she let on and I had an overwhelming feeling to figure it out. We moved closer to each other and I noticed she had small features but her eyes are what held my gaze. She looked at me and had a devilish grin and I couldn't help but return one. Her gaze was enticing and if I stood there any longer I would have gotten lost in her eyes.

Something about them, so soft so sweet. But something else? The type of eyes that would look at you with admiration but tear you to shreds in an instance. I liked it.

I pulled out another cigarette and pointed it toward her. "Wanna smoke?" She nodded and took it from my hand and I lit it for her. I watch as she took a hit and blew smoke at me.

"Do you always come here and smoke?"

I laughed. "Do you always look for stray cats?"

"Always."

I saw her eyes flicker.  The bell signaling passing period rings and I could hear students piling in the hallway. I turn back toward Cheryl. "Come on, I'll walk you to class Kitty."

She finished the cigarette and stepped on it. "Why did you call me that?" She loops her arm around mine and I don't mind. We start walking back to the doors leading back inside.

"I found you in an alley. You're my alley cat." I shrugged. She seemed to enjoy that because she squeezed my arm and giggled.

^^^^

I started to meet Cheryl out in the alley every day during 5th period. After we talked and I usually had a smoke, I would walk her to class. This continued for weeks and was routine.

I liked talking to her. When I spoke, she listened, no matter the topic. She made me feel like the most important person in the world and I got used to her brown eyes and the way she smiled that took up most of her face. I liked the way her eyes lit up when a stray cat came up to us and purred around our ankles. I enjoyed her company and that was exciting but scary because I don't like anyone touching me or in my space.

It was different with her though. I've known her for about three weeks but I can't figure out what it is about her that entices me. Yeah, she's hot, but there is something more, something deeper. I planned on asking her out for a while now but I didn't know how. And what if she said no? What if she said yes?

I kept asking myself this as I lit my cigarette waiting for her. There was a slight breeze but I was sweating from nerves. I took a deep hit and held it in my chest as I began to pace. The smoke came out of my nose and I pictured myself as a bull and Cheryl the bullfighter. I'm charging after her and she's what I want and she could slip away. I didn't want that.

I start kicking this can around and finish my cigarette. I wipe my hands on my jeans. Why are they so sweaty? I feel hands wrap around me and I turn around. "Bout time Kitty. Almost went back to class."

She sat her backpack down and rolled her eyes. "Grover held me after class to talk to me about my participation in class. It's 'Lacking.'" She did finger quotes and rolled her eyes again.

"All that thinking of me got you distracted. My bad."

"You know it." she winks at me and I swear my throat went dry. She knelt down and picked up this scrappy looking grey cat and started to pet it. I tried searching my pocket for another cigarette and when I couldn't find one I let out a sigh.

"Cheryl."

"Aww, he's purring!" She nodded toward the cat in her arms. The cat was skinny and a light, dirty grey. You could tell he was a street cat that got into a lot of fights, a scar on its right eye.

"Cheryl I have a question." If I didn't ask now I didn't know when I would.

"Yeah?" She put the cat down and wiped her hands on the back of her jeans. I ran my fingers through my hair. I kinda wished I wore my beanie. She walked closer to me and clasped my face. "What is it?"

I could feel my cheeks turn red. "I was- I mean.. I was wondering..." I took a deep breath. "Do you wanna be my girlfriend?"

She opens her mouth to speak and I get excited when all of a sudden we hear, "HEY! What are you kids doing out here?!?"