5 | Derrick

I wiped my cheek with my sleeve as we rounded the corner of Martin Avenue. My heart felt like it was going to burst out of my chest. I couldn't tell if it was because of being caught smoking and running or because this cute girl I've known for about a couple weeks now said yes to being my girlfriend.

Probably the second option. And now as we walked side by side, crossing the street to go to my house, where no one was home and it would just be the two of us, I couldn't help but feel warm all over.

My house was a light grey and the yard needed to be mowed. With mom working overnight at TikiTits and me, with tons of homework, I haven't had time to do it. Lord knows Jonah won't do it.

I stepped up on the one concrete step that led up to the door and lifted the welcome mat and grabbed the key. "Under the mat?" I unlocked the door and turned my head and smiled.

"Cliche, I know." I pushed the door open and we shuffled inside. I threw the key on the coffee table and watched as Cheryl looked around. "It's a mess I know, didn't have time to clean." I caught sight of some crumpled paper and Due in red font and folded it and put it in my pocket.

"I like your house. It's cozy." She plopped down on the sofa and I heard it creak. I sat beside her and she scooted closer. Our knees were practically touching. "Tell me about yourself."

"What do you wanna know kitty?" She looked around. If she asked I would answer, but I hoped she wouldn't ask about my family or my house or why I don't have many friends. "

"Tell me about your family."

Damn.

I shrugged. "It's just me, mom, and Jonah. Lived here for about four years." She studied me and I felt uneasy. "My dad left us for some waitress named Trixie he met at IHOP. He sends a postcard here and there and visited at Christmas two years ago." I ran my hand through my hair. Talking about my dad was always a sensitive subject. "I think I have a sister but I'm not sure. He stopped calling and checking up on us a few months back." Cheryl's usual pouty lips formed a frown. "

"Do you miss him?" That was a tough question and I felt a knot in my chest.

"How can I miss a man who deserted us?" Cheryl looked down at her hands and I had a sudden urge to hold her.

"What about your mom?"

I propped my feet on the table. "She loves animals. I can recall having like ten animals. Probably more. She volunteers at the animal shelter downtown and works most nights at this bar 'TikiTits'. Baaaad Hawaiian theme." We laughed.

"Well your dad, is a Dog. I hope he stays put."

"I take it you don't like dogs?" I chuckled. She wrapped her hand around her locket that hung on a gold chain.

"More of a cat person." I stared at her before taking my foot off the table and moving closer.

"Seems why Kitty is fitting." She made a weird noise that came from the back of her throat, but it was strangely cute. I saw her eyes settle on a framed picture of me and Jonah standing in front of a lake holding fish we caught in our hands. Jonah was wearing a green shirt with grey shorts and a life jacket. I wore a blue shirt with blue shorts and I was missing teeth. Jesus.

"Is that Jonah? Where is he?"

"Probably hanging with friends and yeah. He won't be back till midnight."

"Oh really?" I saw her eyes flash and it piqued my interest. She leaned in and I could smell her mint icy breath. Her lips were soft against mine. I felt as if my body were in flames, I was so hot. And was she... Purring?