Chapter 6

The next morning, Mitri woke to Cyril singing in the bathroom. He laid in bed, wondering where his life was headed when this was what he woke to. Mitri sat up and rubbed his face tiredly then glanced over to Nina's bed. She was gone. Of course, Cyril wasn't just singing to themselves in the bathroom.

Mitri was still in bed, contemplating going back to sleep when Cyril came out with a freshly bathed Nina.

Cyril sat Nina on her bed and reported, "Breakfast will be served in the dining hall and afterwards, you will be expected to go visit the labs. Shall I keep Nina?"

Mitri didn't exactly like the idea of Nina leaving his sight but there weren't really many other choices. "Is it possible for you two to return to the ship?"

"I'll discuss it with the Captain," Cyril answered. They picked Nina up and sat her on Mitri's lap. She then crawled up to Mitri's face and rubbed his cheek in a clumsy imitation of what Cyril did to her. Mitri asked wryly, "What are you doing?"

"You look tired," Cyril said for her.

Mitri decided that wasn't really worth a response. "How did she sleep?"

Cyril frowned at him, "I wasn't aware that she had such violent nightmares. It would have kind of you to warn me."

Mitri shrugged, "Didn't think of it. But apparently you survived."

The look Cyril gave him in return was a bit irked but more amazed by his daftness. "Her ability to hurt others and even yourself doesn't register in your mind, does it?"

"She doesn't want to hurt anyone. That's all that matters to me."

"I see," Cyril smiled to themselves, "You are a fascinating human, Jaron." They leaned down and rubbed Nina's cheek. "I will see you at breakfast, offspring."

After the door closed behind Cyril, Mitri looked at Nina and asked, "Do they always call you offspring?"

Nina thought for a moment before nodding.

Mitri sighed, "That's a horrible nickname."

The dining hall was full to the brim with food and people. Mitri carried Nina on his shoulders as usual until he found a seat beside Cyril and another one of their crewmates. Unfortunately, that also ended up being across from the Captain and her lieutenant. He had decided to sit next to Cyril so Nina wouldn't feel too uncomfortable among all the people but upon seeing her, he wasn't sure if it was worth it.

"I know you don't want to hear this," the captain began with the less-than-promising start, "But she really does look good."

Mitri scowled at her but the infant in his lap poked at the Mydilian cuisine and that prompted him to just take the compliment so they could move on. "Thanks."

She took that as a sign to continue, "So, Nina, huh? Why'd you choose that name?"

Mitri shrugged and admitted, too abrasively to be called sheepish, "It jut popped into my head and I figured it worked."

The captain nodded, strangely subdued, "You've always been good with kids, you know. I've seen it plenty of times." When Mitri didn't respond, she went on, "You have plenty to offer her and she has plenty to offer you. If you'd stop being stubborn for five minutes."

"Is this really a conversation for breakfast?" Mitri returned irritably.

"I would attempt it somewhere else, but I have a crazy feeling that you avoid crossing paths with me and would slam the door in my face were I to come in your room."

"You're right. You are crazy."

The captain glared at him, "I'm trying to be nice."

"Stop. It doesn't suit you."