Rubies

Todoroki dreamt of rubies in a smokey haze, glinting lightly under the fog, taunting him. He couldn't help himself. He was addicted to him. Todoroki opened his eyes slowly when he felt the bed shift and he looked up hopefully, meeting soft emeralds instead of sharp rubies. He hated how disappointed he felt. Todoroki offered a sleepy smile to his roommate and he reached up to rub at his eyes.

"What time is it?" He asked sleepily, sitting up and stretching forward, his chest touching his lap. Midoriya rubbed his back with a chuckle. "Too early. I'm off to work. I'll be off at 17:00. Its my turn for dinner so I got the Crock-Pot going. I just wanted you to know." His friend explained. Todoroki nodded before he glanced at the alarm clock, humming. It really was early. 5:30.

"Alright. Did you leave any dishes in the sink for me?" Todoroki asked. Midoriya snickered. "Of course I did! Just for you!" He spoke sweetly making Todoroki snicker.

A phone dinged and Midoriya checked his before looking to Todoroki. "Not mine." He spoke, getting off his roommates bed. Todoroki checked his phone quickly. All of his notifications were muted except for his text messages and only a few people have his number. Midoriya was one, the other was his mom and then his brothers and sister, and then there was his boss.

And it was from his boss. All he sent was a time.

Zero: 11:30.

Todoroki sent back an affirmative before he turned off his screen. "I might not be home when you get off. I got work." He said to Midoriya. His friend thought he was a personal driver for some rich guy, working odd hours every day due to his bosses irregular schedule and habits.

That wasn't really what he was but Todoroki wouldn't let him know what it actually was. He would definitely be out of a place to stay without being completely and utterly reliant on him.

"Alright. What time do you leave?" Midoriya asked, standing in front of Todoroki's full length mirror, going over his uniform to see if he was forgetting anything. He was a local detective and law enforcement officer. "I'll be leaving around 11." Todoroki replied as he laid back down, watching his friend. Midoriya looked at him through the mirror and smiled. "Alright. The food should be done by then so turn it off before you leave. I'll just reheat it when I get home." He replied kindly, checking his watch before he smiled once more. "Bye Todoroki! I'll see you after work!" Midoriya waved before he left his roommate alone in the bedroom.

Todoroki picked his phone back up, deleting the message he received and he checked his other notifications. He liked a few of his siblings post on social media and then he got up and went to eat something for breakfast. Something light because he was going to workout afterwards. He had a schedule to follow. He wasn't going to break his schedule. He was given this schedule and he clung to it like a lifeline.

Todoroki set an alarm for 10:30 and once it rung, he went to shower and get dressed, drying his hair and wearing rather plain clothes and a hat to cover his unique hair color. He wouldn't be wearing them for long. He made sure to turn the crock pot off as well before walking out the door of his shared apartment and down the stairs to the lobby. He greeted the man behind the front desk before exiting the building.

Todoroki took the bus, riding to uptown before he got off, barely looking around the crowded city around him as he took the familiar path to work. Could he even call it work? It certainly didn't feel like work. Well, sometimes. Most of the time it didn't.

Todoroki spotted his favorite place in a twisted way. His escape. The building was on the "bad" end of the busy city. It was a club, music thumping through the brick walls, calling Todoroki closer. He wasn't here to dance. It would probably be something he would have to do eventually today but no, his real job was deeper in the heart of the building. He headed inside, bypassing the line and the bouncers.