Chapter 7: Past & Present

Juliet Rose

"So...Juliet, where'd you say you travelled from, again?" Gem was sitting across from me, a wide grin playing on his lips.

"I didn't." I shrugged and pushed the pile of mash potatoes on my dinner plate. The pack had an incredible array of chiefs who'd prepaid countless meals to choose from for tonight, but I just couldn't stomach eating much. Something stirred uncomfortably within my gut all afternoon and I couldn't understand why.

After I had stayed in my room for most of the day, I decided to go for a short walk on the outskirts of the mansion's perimeter and on that walk, the oddest sensations passed over me. I felt eyes on me. I swear I'm not crazy, and Everett had mentioned they'd amped up the security since rogues had passed through last, so there couldn't be anyone out there. Right? I groaned softly and plunked my fork down; the icky feelings were getting worse as the night went on.

"Juliet, can't you smile? You were a bundle of laughs yesterday... c'mon," Gem playfully nudged my foot from under the table. I'd almost forgotten I was in the presence of others.

That was exactly my problem. Being here, everyone looked out for each other, watched each other, and definitely noticed when things were going sour. I grew up in a world where nobody cared what you did or where you disappeared to, so this whole 'genuine care' concept was completely new to me. I forced a smile onto my face and nudged Gem's foot back. He was a really nice guy and he didn't deserve to be ignored so rudely.

"Where's Sam?" I asked curiously, looking around the room. It was nearing the end of dinner now so most of the wolves had either left or at least finished their meal. I saw Gem pout dramatically across from me and fold his thick arms. The gesture caused me to smirk - he looked like a five-year-old on the brink of a tantrum.

"Hey, I thought I was your favourite twin," Gem teased before he sighed and shrugged his shoulders. "Ah, I don't know, maybe at the gym...the kid's a cardio fanatic. He's built up great stamina..." Gem winked and wriggled his eyebrows at me.

Oh men and their gutter filled minds.

"Ha, ha...you think you're clever, huh?" I smirked and looked around the room, suddenly feeling juvenile. I looked down at my plate and sighed dramatically; the plan was formulated, all I needed to do was lay out the bait. "Want some of my potatoes?" Scooping up a fork, I playfully winked at Gem, egging him to follow my lead. Gem narrowed his eyes and smiled at me slowly.

"What are you thinking?" He asked curiously, as he eyed the fork. Well if I told him, it wouldn't be much fun, now would it? Batting my eyelashes, I pulled out my best 'innocent female' look.

"Do these taste funny to you? Or are my taste buds off?" I asked harmlessly and poked my mashed potato-filled fork out to him. Gem thought for a moment before going in for a bite. I quickly pulled the fork away and smiled pleasantly. "Close your eyes, it'll be like one of the wholesome cooking commercials," I added. Gem snickered and shrugged.

"You're so odd Juliet, but you're lucky you've got a friend so normal and charismatic like me to balance you out." Gem closed his eyes and leaned in slowly toward me. What. A. Sucker. I smirked wickedly and pulled back my fork like a catapult.

"FIRE!" I screamed as I released the fork, sending a fork-full of gravy mush deliciousness into Gem's face.

I'm not even kidding you, it was probably the most hilarious moment I'd ever experienced. I whooped with laughter as Gem's face contorted into shock and disbelief. Smacking the table, I covered my mouth attempting to control my wild giggle fit. He looked so damn funny! Gem wiped some of the mashed potatoes away from his eyes as a dark smile stretched across his lips.