3: Midday Blues

". . . then he legit just flushed the damn thing and I got sprayed!" Thomas whined on, picking at the food on his tray, not actually hungry, "Like, seriously, Aaron, what I ever do to them that they treat me like this? Huh?" He sighed, looking up at said boy who sat across from him, just nodding at Thomas' rambling. Aaron was Thomas' best friend. Well, he was his only friend, really. He'd go to him with all his problems regarding his bullies amongst other things, "Guess I can cross 'taste toilet water' off my bucket list!" He said, throwing his fork so it landed on the table with a loud clink. Aaron took a sip of his juice, then looked up at Thomas.
"You know, you could beat these kids up of you wanted. You just never do. Do they know you're a brown belt in karate? I doubt."

Thomas paused in his thoughts.
"What? Wh-why would I do that?"
"Because it's the only way you'll get them off your case, Thomas. Don't be so passive. You're more than capable."
Thomas was shaken at these words coming out of Aaron's mouth. He was well aware Thomas wasn't going to do something like that anytime soon.
"Aaron!" He whimpered, "I'm terrified of them! I can't even look any of them in the eye!" He tried, Aaron still refusing that answer.

"And that's where your issue is, Thomas. If you're afraid to even try, you're not gonna to get very far."
Thomas knitted his eyebrows.
"Dude! They're so fucking intimidating! Especially the shortest one! He's a beast!"
Aaron chuckled,
"What? That kid who's barely five feet tall? You're afraid of him? You can't be serious. He's a dwarf!"
"AARON!" he yelled, "Have you ever interacted with him even once in your life? He's a monster!"

Aaron just shrugged. He had indeed interacted with The Littlest One.
"We're in the same English class. He's adorable." He snickered, fully aware of his tendencies but simply wanting to tease Thomas who scowled.
"Okay, you really aren't helping right now, do you know that?"
Aaron sighed and sat back, crossing his arms.
"Alright, listen. These midday blues of yours are unhealthy. But you're underestimating yourself, dude. I'm more than positive that you can take these guys down, whether it means breaking someone's face, preferably that insanely beautiful one. You just need to try. I know you can."

Thomas frowned, had Aaron actually just referred to The Foreign One as insanely beautiful??? That wasn't right. But he shook it off, taking into account what his mate had just said. He'd only just seen his karate skills as self-defense skills when in need. Well, he kinda was in need right now, and it was a form of self defense. Maybe he would. He was just so afraid.

"Firstly, The Giant One will literally kill me if I touch his baby boy toy. Secondly, please never call him insanely beautiful again. Thirdly, it's not that I can't, I just don't want to. I believe violence is never the answer."
Aaron face-palmed physically after hearing this. Thomas couldn't be serious.
"Dude, are you being for real right now? Sure, fighting doesn't always work, but in this case it's the ONLY answer. Come on. Unless you want me to do it for you?"

Thomas raised his eyebrows. He wouldn't.
"Oh? Sure. Go ahead. I'd be delighted." He said, sarcastically. Aaron paused and darted his eyes left then right then back at Thomas. He cleared his throat.
"I was, uh, kidding. I'm pretty sure you can do it just fine without me."
Thomas looked at him with a disbelieving expression.
"What?? Look, Thomas, I-" he was cut off by the sound of the end of lunch bell going, pretty thankful to say the least, "right, we can talk later," he began, standing up, "but if you meet any of them, don't chicken out. If they want trouble, you give them trouble. Okay?" He tried to encourage.

Thomas just nodded his head, fully aware that that probably wasn't going to happen, but appreciating his friend's help. Aaron smiled and said bye before running off. Thomas sighed to himself. This was going to be a long day.

***

Thomas was minding his own business, walking down the almost empty hallway, actually humming to himself. He was about to turn round the corner when he heard a calling whistle, soon followed by an insult.
"YOOO, SHITFACE!" The voice called out, Thomas subconsciously slowing down. But he knew that voice. It could only have been one person. Said person soon caught up with him.
"I'm talking to ya, dumbass." Thomas turned around slowly. The Brown-Eyed One.

He couldn't help but freeze once being met with his gaze. The shorter put on a smile, a smile which said "you're in trouble". But his smile soon dropped and he tutted when he looked at Thomas' face.

"Cat got ya tongue, stupid?" He questioned, Thomas being forced into submission, shaking his head.
"N-n-no..." he answered, the shorter tutting once again.
"You're such a dweeb, Jefferson. I hope you know that."
Thomas remained still and silent, perhaps annoying him. He grabbed him by the collar and pinned him up against the wall.
"I said, I hope you know that, dumbass." He growled, Thomas now nodding frantically. The Brown-Eyed One tutted yet again, letting go of Thomas. He took a step back and looked Thomas up and down.
"Fucking maniac." He spat.

Thomas thought back on he and Aaron's discussion, he was a brown belt in karate, this kid deserved to know that. He took a deep breath and opened his mouth in attempt to say "Firstly, fuck you. Secondly, incase you didn't know, I'm a brown belt in karate, so if I were you I'd turn and run before I replace that brown eye with a black one", then let this kid challenge him so he'd beat him up. But, unfortunately, nothing came out. He knew what he wanted to say, but he couldn't say it. The shorter crossed his arms and tilted his head.
"Yeah?" He instigated. Thomas closed his mouth and looked at his feet, causing the former to chuckle.
"You're pathetic." He cursed, kicking Thomas in the shin before leaving him alone. 

Thomas still looked down, blurring his vision with tears.
"I know..." he whispered to himself, "it's all I'll ever be."
Aaron had always told him to stop being so self-deprecating because he was more than he thought. But it was hard to believe because he couldn't even fight for himself. And if he couldn't fight for himself, there was really no use in trying. He put his hands over his face then wiped his tears and pushed himself away from the wall to continue on his way. He sighed, what's wrong with me? If Aaron was here, he'd say nothing at all. But surely there was if he still ended up in this state everyday of his life. He shook his head, maybe next time...