Part Twenty Three

An hour later, I was sitting next to Blaine in his car as he drove.

"If you think we are in danger, then why are we alone and without security?" I asked.

Being that he's back to his serious and cold self, he just drove, and it was hard to tell if he was paying any attention until he spoke. 

"We do, but you just can't see them.  They stay in the background and watch.  It will be like this when you're back home, someone will be watching you at all times, but they will be inconspicuous.  You'll be the only one to know, but you won't see them much." He said.

"Can you finally tell me where we are going?" I asked. 

"I'm taking you to Cassidy's favorite place.  We need to know who helped her, so maybe this will jog your memory for any clues.  Maybe she mentioned something at any point that could give us somewhere to start." He said. 

"I think this is a waste of time, she never spoke of New York. She had a real talent of listening more than talking." I said. 

He shook his head with a tiny smile.

"What?" I asked.

"She never listened to a word I ever said.  She could talk my ear off and say nothing at the same time.  She was far too easily amused by her own words, to actually listen." He said.

"She was gone for a long time and no longer a child," I said.

He didn't say a word back until we pulled in at a homeless shelter.

"This doesn't surprise me," I said as we got out of the car. 

Of course, he doesn't respond and just opened the door for me before we walked inside. 

"Blaine, it's so good to see you again.  Is there word on Cassidy, is that why you're here today?" An older woman gave Mr. Sensitivity a hug, and he actually hugged her back.

"Monique, this is Cora, and we are just doing some investigating of our own.  I'm taking her to some of Cassidy's favorite places to help her familiarize with the life Cassidy lived before her disappearance.  Could you try to remember if there was anyone here Cassidy seemed extra fond of during that time?"

He doesn't want word of Cassidy's death out yet.  This is actually a good idea since someone helped find her a new identity, and who better than people who may have done the same?

"She built relationships with everyone, but not one more than the other." She stopped and thought about it for just a moment.  "Actually, there was a young man that was court-ordered to work here as community service.  She would sometimes give him a ride to and from, but I can't quite remember his name.  I could check our records and get back to you." She said.

"Thanks, Monique, that would be great." He said.

"I sure wish you the best of luck, you're sister was always such a breath of fresh air." She said.

"Thank you, and I look forward to your call." He reached into his wallet and handed her his business card.

"I'll call you as soon as I know something." She said.

We left the homeless shelter and got into the car.  "How did that come about?" I asked.

He reached down and started his car.  "She got caught out after curfew and was court-ordered to only do eight hours community service, but she just kept going long after she paid her dues." He said.

That sounds like the girl I knew.

"Did she ever mention any friendships?  She had a group of friends she did everything with, and she was cheer captain." He said.

I shook my head.  "No, she said she was never one to form attachments, which I thought was strange because we got so close," I said.

"Melanie, Tiffany, Johanna, or Grace?  She never mentioned any of those names?" He asked.

"Not that I remember. Blaine, we had six years worth of conversation, but she never really said much at the same time," I replied. 

"Then what did you talk about?" He asked.

"Well, we talked about home.  The Harvest Festival, Kings Island, dating, men, and sex.  Mostly sex." I laughed, and he blushed.

"Really?  A grown man that blushes when I mention sex?" I asked.

"It's inappropriate, Miss Ashely." He said.

"What are you, my high school principal?  Last night you had no problem addressing me by my first name, what's changed?" I asked.

"Okay, fine, Cora, and there is nothing wrong with being conservative and keeping the conversation appropriate.  Last night I drank a little too much, and this," He pointed between us. "is not about getting casual, it's very serious."

What the hell is his problem?

"You're stuffy." I said, and he just shrugged.

"Well, if you're hoping to learn more about the six years I knew your sister, sex will come up quite often." I said.

He made a disgusted face.

"Do you want to know or not?  If you're wanting to spend this time with me, you have to loosen up, otherwise we won't get any closer to finding your niece or nephew.  What are you, some kind of virgin?  Are you waiting for marriage?" I laughed.

He isn't fooling me, there's no way he is as innocent as he is playing.

"My sex life isn't up for discussion." He said, then reached down for the radio, but I reached over and smacked his hand away. 

"Don't do that, just chill out and answer my question." I have a smile on my face, for some reason this is fun.  This man is gorgeous, there's no way he doesn't have an active sex life.  Lisa herself said he gets plenty of female attention.  If I have to talk about everything Lisa and I did over six years, he can at least be open with me. 

"Fine, I was divorced two years ago, and, no, I don't sleep around.  There's no point in meaningless sex if you don't at least like the person you're spending time around.  It's personal, and I do not need to know details of either of your sex lives.  Tell me who she spent time with, but do not tell me intimate details." He said. 

Good, he doesn't need to know I'm pregnant then either.