Chapter 13

Adrien leaned into Sabine as they sat with Tom waiting for news on Marinette. Sabine gently stroked Adrien's hair trying to give what comfort she could to the young blonde. As scared as she was for her daughter, she knew Adrien was beyond terrified. Adrien soaked up the love she gave him like a sponge, the feel of a mother's love that he hadn't felt in so long, a feeling he was desperate to hold on to - a last tangible grasp on reality. He had already lost so much with his own parents gone, but he never felt like an orphan. Tom and Sabine had stepped in, taking him under their wing and making him part of their family. He was no longer afraid of being alone. He couldn't even begin to imagine how he ever would have gotten through the last 12 months without them and Marinette.

The thought of facing life without Marinette by his side was almost too much for his brain to comprehend. He closed his eyes tight trying to hang on to her smell, her warmth, her smile and his heart ached. This was not an end befitting of the brave and selfless Ladybug, the loving and beautiful Marinette. They were supposed to live a lifetime together, raise a family and die old and warm surrounded by love and grandchildren. Not this, not like this. Adrien couldn't hold it in anymore as the sobs broke from his mouth. Sabine held him closer as Tom put an arm around both of them in support. He was supposed to be the one, not her. It was his job, his duty to protect her and he felt like a failure.

Minutes felt like hours before a doctor finally came out to see them. Adrien didn't quite hear everything that was said, but one thing rang out clear and true 'She's alive, she will be alright' and he felt he could breathe again. The doctor was soon followed by Officer Raincomprix. Preliminary investigations into the fire found that it was an electrical fault, however Marinette's injuries were determined to be no accident, and neither was her locked office. As it stood there was no leads, and the surveillance system had been down, supposedly for maintenance but he was continuing his investigation.

The doctor took Tom and Sabine in first to see their daughter, who was still under sedation. Adrien sat alone in the waiting room in disbelief. Who could do something so hideous, so unimaginable to one of the sweetest, kindest, most loving people he knew?

"How you holding up kid?" Plagg whispered from Adrien's shirt.

"Someone tried to kill her Plagg. Someone actually tried to take her away from me permanently and I can't believe that." Adrien buried his face in his hands. He felt like he was reliving that old nightmare he used to have, where he couldn't save Ladybug from the akuma. He hadn't had that dream for so long now, safe with Marinette in his arms. Now he felt like he was living it, only this wasn't an akuma. No Miraculous Ladybug was going to fix this.

Soon the pinging of his phone alerted him to a series of text messages he had missed from Alya and Nino. He let them know the current state of her condition with both of his friends promising to be there in the morning. There were also messages from Chloe and a few of their old high school friends. So many people loved and cared about Marinette. He was so grateful that he managed to get to her when he did, although he still felt it hadn't been good enough. That was when he was reminded of a question he needed to ask.

"Hey Plagg, how did you know Marinette was in trouble?" He waited, but the cat kwami was yet to respond. "Plagg, I know you can hear me." Slowly Plagg emerged out.

"It's not up to me to tell you kid. Tikki will lose it if I interfere." Plagg's ears drooped down as he spoke.

"That's ridiculous Plagg, why would Tikki get mad? And since when have you been able to sense what goes on with Marinette? You've been acting weird around her for weeks now."

"I told you it's not my place to say."

"And I'm telling you to spit it out."

"But Tikki said..."