Pain meds? Sorta

"Peter. Can you open your eyes for me?" Dr. Cho gently nudged the drowsy teen's shoulder.

"They're ope'." The gauze distorted his words.

His response caused the surrounding heroes to laugh. Their happy noises made Peter giggle. He rolled over in the hospital bed - a dopey smile on his face. His movements caused the blanket and pillow to fall, but the vigilante didn't even notice.

Opening his eyes - for real this time - he realized all of the Avengers were in his room. "The a'enge's!" He pointed to Bucky, "and Jesus!"

"Oh my god." Bucky facepalmed. Sam and Clint were already mocking him - Bucky's choice of words only fueled the fire.

"How much of that stuff did you give him?" Tony asked, chuckling at how chipmunk-like his son looked with his swollen cheeks.

"Five doses." Helen gestured to the vial and syringes on the table nearby. "Even though I created the sedative with Peter's genetics in mind, it still won't last long in his system, and it doesn't do much for pain." She huffed in frustration. "I was lucky I could even get one to work."

"We're just glad you did. So thank you." Natasha sat down on the bed and began petting her nephew's hair. "Even if it doesn't last long... it's better than nothing."

"It's no problem." Helen smiled. "I care about Peter, very much so." She looked from the awestruck arachnid to Tony. "The sedative is safe for him, so you should be able to use as much as you need. Three doses kept him out for about twenty minutes. For the next time, you need to use them, that is."

"Yeah. There's no If but When, when it comes to Peter getting into trouble." The billionaire sat opposite Natasha, smiling down at his boy. "How ya feeling, bud?"

Peter just continued to stare up at him with a dopey smile on his face, big eyes shining.

"Does your mouth hurt?"

"M'yeah. But it's okay."

"And why's that?"

"Because you're Iron man!" He threw his arms around the billionaire's neck and squeezed tightly. "Yo' gonna keep m' safe."

"I..." his eyes took on a misty look, and he tugged Peter onto his lap, Natasha's hand still playing with his curls, "I always will. No matter what."