faith

Bruce Wayne sat in the Batcave, cowl down, staring at the only memorial in the entire cave. His heart felt heavy with grief, not for a fallen soldier, but for a lost son.

Bruce stood up and pulled the cowl on, walking towards the zeta tube in the cave, hoping against hope that Jade would have some information for him to use.

He got to the alley that he told Jade to meet him in. He was greeted by a swift kick to the face. Bruce turned and dodged the next kick, eyes wide as he saw Cheshire draw her sai.

"Cheshire? What is the meaning of this?" Batman scowled, grabbing Cheshire's wrist so she couldn't stab him with her sai. Cheshire growled, bringing her knee up to hit Batman in the stomach. "Jade, stop. What is going on?"

"He threatened my daughter, because of you." Jade snarled, taking her hand that wasn't being held by Batman and slashing at him with her sai. She got him on the torso, cutting through his armour but not getting his skin. "If anything happens to her, I will end you."

Batman released her wrist, taking a step back in case she decided to strike again. Jade took a shuddering breath in before removing her mask. Batman took a long look at the exhaustion on her face. "Jade, what is happening within the Shadows?"

Jade rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. "Not much to report. Deathstroke has taken complete control over Jason, as expected due to the techno-virus in his system. Jason is his little puppet, following his every command. How Deathstroke is communicating those commands, I'm not sure yet." She avoided Batman's eyes, unsure if she should tell him what else she knows.

Batman noticed this and sighed, tentatively putting a hand on her shoulder. "Jade, I can and will protect both Lian and Will from the Shadows. It is imperative that you tell me everything you know about upcoming missions."

"If I do, Deathstroke will know there is a mole and rightfully assume it is me." Jade countered. "How do you propose I prevent that, hmm?"

Batman thought about it for a moment before nodding. "You're right. That is not what we agreed upon. You tell me everything you know about Jason and Control, keep me updated. I will protect Lian and Will."

Jade nodded. "Are we done here? I have to get back before Deathstroke gets suspicious." Batman thanked her and waved her off. Jade made her way to the end of the alley, pausing to look back over her shoulder at Batman. "I may not be able to tell you everything, but I will tell you this. Pay extra close attention to your meta human sanctuaries."

And with that Jade put her mask back on and took off into the night, leaving Batman to turn around and go back into the zeta tubes, heading for Mount Justice.

Bruce arrived at Mount Justice to see the team sparring with each other, Black Canary standing off to the side to observe. He went over and stood with his fellow Leaguer, causing the blonde to glance up at him. "Hello, Batman. What brings you around here?"

Batman was silent for a moment, observing the team and the progress they have made. "I have a tip from a credible source implying the Light might be making a move on our meta human sanctuary in Taos."

Canary stilled, eyes forward as to not alert the team. "When?"

"My source did not say, but most likely sooner rather than later." Batman scanned the team. "I want to send a few members of the team over there, just in case it is soon. What do you say?"

Black Canary nodded. "I think that is a good idea. Who are you thinking of sending?" Batman looked over the team, eyeing them for signs of exhaustion. When he got the mental list of who he was sending on the mission, he motioned for Canary to halt the sparring. Canary whistled loudly, gaining the attention of the present team members. "Listen up, Batman has a preemptive mission for some of you. Batman, if you will."

Batman pulled up the information on the meta human sanctuary in Taos on the holographic computer, waiting until the team was gathered around before talking. "As you all know, we have a meta human sanctuary in Taos where we help those we rescue in meta human trafficking rings. Well, I have recieved word from a credible source that says our sanctuary in Taos may come under some form of attack very soon. To prevent this, I will be sending a handful of you over there."

"Excuse me, sir, but who is your credible source?" Bart asked, raising his hand a little.

Batman narrowed his eyes. "That doesn't concern you." The team shifted uncomfortably under Batman's scrutiny. He took a pause before continuing on with the briefing. "As I was saying, I will be sending a small team of you over to Taos. Artemis, Batgirl, Blue Beetle, Impulse, Robin, and Wonder Girl. Your mission is to make sure the meta humans are okay and that if the Light or anyone else attacks, you will defend them. Got it?" The team nodded. "Good, you depart now."

The group of heroes that Batman designated for the mission ran off for the bioship, leaving behind their teammates. Dick turned to Batman with a questioning look but the Dark Knight was already walking towards the zeta tubes.

"Batman, wait!" Dick caught up with Bruce, waiting until he knew his teammate's and Canary weren't around before he asked his question. "Your source is Jade, isn't it?" Bruce didn't say anything, just smirked slightly before turning back around and leaving Dick alone in the mission room with nothing but his thoughts.

Dick made his way to the lounge where the rest of the team was sitting, trying to decide on a movie to watch. He flopped down on the couch, narrowing his eyes at the ceiling while his team chatted around him.

Bruce has been keeping things from him lately and he was going to find out what they are. How can he trust Cheshire and not him? That was a puzzle Dick was determined to solve.