3. Royal Lie

Ben was not convinced. He was reassured and he was calmed down, but he was not a hundred percent convinced. Harry was born and raised a villain. He wasn't just a villain kid, he was an actual villain. His father was a villain.

Villains were great at manipulating people to get what they wanted.

Mal was born and raised a villain. She manipulated Ben with magic to love her. One could say Mal was potentially a far worse villain than Harry Hook, but what made Mal and her friends different was their atonement. Their wicked past was influenced by their parents' sins rather than their own nature. Inherently, the four of them were good people and they had proven themselves over and over again of their dedication to Auradon and not only saving the city, but making it a better place. Sure, they grew up reckless and uncivilized on the Isle just like Harry, but they actively made an effort to change.

Even Uma, who was still a pirate and arguably did more real damage than Mal, found herself redeemable. She fought for what she believed was right, whether the way she went about it was right or not. She set aside her differences and helped Auradon in its time of need. She still lived on the Isle, like Harry, but she was involved in Auradon and helping villain kids make the transition from life at the Isle to life at the kingdom.

What made Harry innocent? How could Ben find redemption in someone who showed no interest in being good? He fought for Auradon when Audrey took over, but did he do so out of the goodness of his heart or because he was loyal to Uma? Ben had a difficult time picturing Harry joining forces with Mal and her friends solely out of selflessness and without the influence of Uma.

Harry insisted on living in the Isle even with the opportunity of a perfect, comfortable life in Auradon right in front of him. He chose the island of criminals. And it wasn't because he had a family or a business there like Uma. Nothing else except the life of crime was enough motivation for Harry. Admittedly, Ben enjoyed the memories of running through the Isle, but as stated before, he would never choose to be a felon over an Auradon citizen.

The way Harry mocked the crown was enough to tell Ben he had some deep-rooted dislike for the kingdom. It only makes sense that Harry would be the one to attempt to corrupt it. It could be Uma. She had the experience with magic to perform a feat like this.

No, Uma didn't have any motive anymore...
Neither did Harry.

There was a sense of shame that washed over Ben. Was Ben acting out of prejudice against Harry because of who he was? Harry could be truly innocent and Ben could just be making the biggest fool of himself.

He did make quite the fool of himself in front of Harry.

Whether his accusations were along the right lines or not, Ben absolutely embarrassed himself with the way he acted. All while mopping Harry's stupid ship. The same ship he was tied up on two years ago. Why would a king mop a pirate's ship? Ben was truly out of his mind with desperation. The interaction with Harry was so chaotic Ben could barely recall the chronological order of what was said even though it happened merely a half hour ago.

'From the bottom of my heart...' Harry's voice rolled in Ben's head, 'I have no part in it.'

Ben's skin tingled in a shiver remembering his words. He sounded genuine. But... The way he tipped his head and gave his fake smile as he told him to be on his way. It was so damn difficult deciphering what Harry was thinking. His charming smile and the way he danced in his motions as if even the simplest of his actions held some underlying motivation. Ben found himself actually angry thinking about that pirate.

Stop. Stop thinking about it. Ben shoved the thoughts away and carried forward.

Ben had just gotten back from the Isle and parked the beaten down, inconspicuous car he took to get there quite a walking distance from the castle. It was an undercover car he used and switched out every now and then to travel the city while tactfully escaping the eyes of the public. He had switched it out so often that no one but him kept track of what he was driving, not even Mal or his parents. This was good. The last thing Ben needed was anyone noticing he had left to the Isle. He couldn't imagine the questions he would receive if anyone found out he had gone to visit a pirate.