17. Thick as Two Thieves [Part 2]

[CW: Moderate Sexual Content - please message me if you want to avoid it but would still like to read the chapter/know what happens!]
***********

If every thought that crossed his mind, every emotion that latched onto his chest, and every question that entangled his soul were a brick, Ben would have an entire castle built atop him. He would be buried beneath it, deep into the ground, where he couldn't move or breathe. That's what it felt like, at least.

There was so much of it. Too much. The only thing he could do to manage his own mind was to clear it entirely. Thinking, right now, would lead to a repeat of the Enchanted Lake meltdown and if he weren't already in enough trouble, that would inevitably seal the deal of his fate. If he broke down right now in front of everyone here in this ballroom, he would be done for. Done for in every possible way. He wouldn't even need Jay exposing his lies to ruin him.

Ben sucked in a deep breath.

He had been standing with Mal and Evie and Uma, pretending as best as he could to listen to their conversation- as the entire second half of this ball seemed to have consisted of. There wasn't much longer of it he had to get through. The party was winding down. No one was really dancing any more and the last half hour would be simple chatting until everyone dispersed. Ben had already given his speech at the Royal Table, so he didn't have to worry about embarrassing himself trying to formulate anything coherent in his current state of mind. Fairy Godmother would give another speech. Mal would have a few departing words to say for the guests before they left at midnight.

He could get through this.

He could deal with everything else later. He could talk to Jay later.

Right now he needed to focus on not breaking.

It definitely didn't make it easy, though, when Mal, Evie, and Uma's topic of conversation seemed to inevitably fall back onto Harry. That's when Ben realized that yes, this entire situation was just some sick practical joke the universe was playing on him. He was nothing more than a punchline.

They were standing within visual range of the bar, which Ben had his back towards because looking over there and seeing Jay and Harry sitting together only pushed him closer to breaking. It was Mal who first brought up the subject of Evie's most recent projects. Which led to the topic of her proudest designs, and since Harry's suit was the last she had finished, this led to her remarking again on her own pride of her accomplishment of transforming the stubborn pirate into a "regal nobleman". Their words. Although Ben wouldn't exactly disagree, seeing he both thought and said the same thing before.

The girls turned to look at the pirate in which they spoke about. Ben found it difficult to not look over as well, despite his sworn oath to keep his attention off of Harry. As expected when he looked over, he felt the crushing feeling in his heart at the sight.

Harry and Jay, sitting together, laughing over several empty glasses aligned on the table in front of them like trophies. It was so confusing and it felt so unfair. Why? After this entire night of Harry and Jay's bickering. The bitter tension that seemed to drive their interactions. Why were they suddenly now acting like best friends?

Best friends. Harry and Jay were close on the Isle. Harry even briefly mentioned it back at the museum that Jay was one of the friends that helped him get through his father's death. Ben, of course, knew the two of them shared a closer history. It wasn't exactly a secret. But then Jay interrupted their conversation and returned the handkerchief to Harry right in front of him. And Harry... The remark he had made wasn't escaping Ben's mind.

'The last thing you gave me before you left me all alone and never came back.'

'The last material gift at least.'