14. History in the Making

The museum had been a lot quicker of a walk than Harry expected. They had gone through the courtyard and passed the school all within a walk worth only minutes. And up ahead, there was a building with the same baroque structure as the castle and the school, which Harry assumed to be the museum.

Harry looked to Ben beside him, then back toward the building ahead.

Harry was right in saying that going to the museum with Ben sounded less dreadful than being back at the ballroom. But then again, Harry was starting to realize that going anywhere with Ben would be... "less dreadful" than most things right now. And by less dreadful, he meant it would actually be pleasant.

Yes, being with Ben was pleasant, okay? That was already concluded long before. What hadn't been concluded- and was becoming a lot clearer now- was that Ben's company was becoming something a bit different to Harry than what it was before. And not only that, but it was a bit different than his company with- say- anyone he considered a "familiar acquaintance".

It could be because he never contemplated his attraction to his everyday familiar acquaintances like he had with Ben. And because he had contemplated his attraction to Ben, it was now all that was on his mind when he was with Ben. It certainly made up a solid portion of his attention throughout their conversations. But with the physical feeling inside of him and the way he felt this magnetic field pulling him in when Ben said something snarky or flattering, Harry wasn't so sure that it was just due to his own recent focus on attraction. This... very well could be attraction. Genuine attraction.

To Ben.

'King Benjamin.' He thought the words with the same level of disbelief that he had a hundred times before within the last couple of weeks. As if thinking those words would somehow solve this puzzle. But it didn't. In fact, adding "King" in front of Ben's name only worked to put into perspective just how nonsensical this entire internal conflict was. It would trigger his rationale into reconsidering the full scale of the situation. The circumstances. The differences. The improbability that someone like Harry could even consider a romantic endeavor with someone like Ben. Not just because of the circumstances of Ben being married, straight, and loyal to the traditional ways of the throne, but because Harry should be smarter than that. He should be smarter than allowing someone in such an impossible, far-reaching position to lure him in like this. Each time he reminded himself of this, those feelings within him would jump to a million different places at once.

He was content with the idea of being attracted to Ben. That was normal.

He was not content with the idea of liking him.

It would be utterly astounding to Harry if he did. But he wasn't even sure if he did and, if he wasn't sure he liked him as anything more than a friend, then did he really? If he wasn't sure, then it would be easy to just forget about it all completely.

So much for claiming to be so in tune with your emotions, Harry.

What a lie that was.

"Welcome, Harry, to Auradon's Museum of Cultural History," Ben hopped up a few of the steps and extended his arm outward to address the building before them. He must have picked up on Harry's lack of excitement because he added, "Come on. There's tons of really cool things in here. Pieces of history, stories, magical weapons and objects."

"You know how much I love magic," Harry muttered.

"Yeah, don't get any ideas, please," Ben replied, hopping up the next few steps, "One curse is enough."

Harry cracked a humored grin then took a long drink before following him up the steps to the doors of the museum. Ben opened the door for Harry to enter and as soon as Harry stepped inside he was met with tranquil, dim lighting and an atmosphere that made the surface of his skin tingle with a chill. Instantly, he could feel the power that lingered all about the interior of the building.