Chapter Thirty-Nine: A Hopeful Audition

When it came to acting it always made Michelle nervous. Sure, she was only a teenager and it was only a high school musical, but that didn't mean she wanted to be bad at it. She wanted to be good enough to prove she could be cool and for the audition to be fun. But for Mr. Neal, the auditions were anything but fun. Nothing but bad actors after bad actors but he knew what he was in for as he had directed a lot of high school musicals before. So when Michelle turned up for her audition two days later she had her perspective and Mr. Neal had his.

"Next," he said as patiently as he could.

Michelle entered the classroom with Natalie and Rick and the three of them were carrying scene pages. Mr. Neal was relieved to see Michelle as he had a little confidence in her abilities.

"Oh, hello Michelle," Mr. Neal said. "Which role are you auditioning for today?"

"I'm auditioning for the role of 'Rhonda'," Michelle replied. "Do you mind if Rick reads with me?"

"Not at all,"

"Thank you,"

Mr. Neal directed Michelle and Rick to the front of the classroom while Natalie just stood on the left-hand side. As she read her lines with Rick she felt nervous at first but then felt her confidence begin to grow. Once the scene was finished she looked at Mr. Neal.

"So what do you think?" Michelle asked.

The second Michelle asked that question she regretted it because she really wasn't sure if she wanted to hear his answer.

"We'll let you know," Mr. Neal said.

To Michelle hearing him say "We'll let you know," was him saying "I'm telling you no,". In spite of her anxiety, she wanted an answer immediately because she didn't know if she could stand the wait.

"Can't you tell me now if I've got the role, or if I'm in with a shot?" she asked.

Mr. Neal was about to make some notes but instead had been caught off guard as he couldn't believe how demanding she was being.

"Michelle, either you can wait in due time or I can cross your name off the list right now," he replied annoyed. "Now what choice do you want to make?"

Michelle had rarely seen Mr. Neal annoyed like that and always hated it when he was as it always made her nervous.

"I'll just wait," she said.

"Thank you, and you'll find out in due course," he said. "Now report down to the music room for your singing audition,"

Now Michelle really started to feel nervous because she really had doubts about her abilities.

*****

When it came to praising Michelle loved it when it was genuine but hated it when it was false and really hated it when it was delusional. And that's what she was getting from Natalie and Rick as they walked home from school: Delusional praise.

"Your audition was just amazing, mate," Rick said. "You should be really proud of yourself,"

"I really loved the way you sang," Natalie said. "I thought that was amazing,"

And that's when Michelle reached the end of her limit.

"Are you kidding me?" she asked. "I was crap,"

Natalie and Rick looked at her in surprise as they didn't expect her to say that.

"What do you mean you were crap?" Natalie asked.

"What do you mean I was crap?" Michelle asked back. "Didn't you see the look on Miss Doherty's face? She looked like I was scratching my fingernails down the blackboard,"