Chapter Seventy: Deadly Punishment for the Guilty

As Cameron ate lunch with Susan he was a little anxious but she appeared to be more anxious than he was. That was surprising to him as he always thought she was more confident than he was and she was eating her lunch really fast.

"Are you going to slow down?" he asked. "You could choke that way,"

Susan swallowed the last of her food and then looked at him directly.

"I need you to hurry up and finish your lunch," she said.

"Why?" Cameron asked.

"Just trust me and do it,"

Seeing how anxious she was he finished eating his meal. Once that was done she pushed out her chair and stood up.

"Follow me," she said.

As it was obvious how serious Susan was he pushed his chair out and stood up. Then she walked out of the cafeteria and Cameron followed her to Scott Ryder Hall. Even though it was still damaged he still resented the sight of it.

"What are we doing here?" he asked quickly.

"You'll see once we're inside," she said.

When they walked inside she was relieved that the hall was empty.

"Listen," she said. "As much as I would love to make sure you're safe every second of the day that's not going to be possible with the different classes we take,"

"So what are you getting at?" he asked.

"What I'm getting at is once we've both earned our powers I should teach you some fighting moves so I don't have to be worried about you all the time,"

Cameron loved that idea and he couldn't help but smile.

"Cool," he said simply.

"Cool," she replied. "I'll start with boxing for you,"

As Susan started to teach Cameron the moves needed for his own survival neither of them was aware they were being watched by Stephen, Mrs. Dean, and Mr. Dean.

*****

The night Cameron went missing his parents naturally called Scott and it was obvious to Mr. Ryder that Scott was only pretending to be worried. Mrs. Ryder was too worried about Cameron to be fooled by the act. When Cameron had been found they had called Scott again and he only pretended to be relieved. Mr. Ryder knew that he didn't get along with his younger brother and he was sick and tired of his attitude towards him. So when he found out that Nathan, Bob, and Kyle had been bailed out he thought he would call Scott to see how he felt about that. It was during his lunch break at work when he decided to make the call. Scott was in his bedroom when the call came through.

"Hello," Scott said.

"Scott, this is your father," Mr. Ryder replied. "I have bad news. You know those bastards that kidnapped your brother and tied him to a tree in the woods?"

For a split second, he heard Scott stifle a laugh which he didn't appreciate.

"Yeah," he said. "What about them?"

"They made bail," Mr. Ryder replied.

Scott sighed impatiently.

"Yeah, I know," he said.

"What do you mean you know?" Mr. Ryder asked confused. "Did your mother call you about it?"

"No, mom didn't call me. I bailed them out because they're my buddies,"

Mr. Ryder didn't know which was worse: The fact that Scott had bailed the bullies out or the psychotic lack of respect that he had for his own brother.