11.02 Form and Void

~June 5, 2015~
I rummage through the hardware store picking up odd bits here and there. When I'm sure I've grabbed enough, I make my way out the back of the store and into the alley. I set everything up, placing my phone in the bucket so that it amplifies the sound. The video begins booming down the alley and I quickly hide out of sight. 

"H-a-t-e. It was with this left hand that old brother Cain struck the blow that laid his brother low. L-o-v-e. You see these fingers? They've arched. These fingers have veins that run straight to the soul of a man. The right hand, friends -- the hand of love. Now watch, and I'll show you the story of life. These fingers, dear hearts, is always a-warrin' and a-tuggin', one against the other. Now watch 'em. Old brother left hand -- left hand hates a-fightin'.

While the rabid stand and watch the video, I come up behind him with a self-made tazer. He turns around quickly. "Can you talk? Or are you too far gone?" "What?" I zap him in the chest and he falls to the ground unconscious. "Good answer," I reply enthusiastically. 

--

Standing in a hospital room, I rip open the pack of pills, downing them quickly. I look in the mirror, slightly frowning when I see that the black veins are spreading. Rolling my eyes, I turn to the man I kidnapped, who is chained to a hospital bed, rattling the chains. "What's your name?" "Bite me," He snarkily replies. I grin teasingly at him, walking closer. "Nice to meet you Bite Me. How long have you been infected?" "Could ask you the same thing. We smell our own. Although there seems to be more to your blood than what I got going on."

Curiosity eats away at me, but I brush it aside, crossing my arms across my chest. "Answer the question." "Why? Cause you want to know how much time you got left?" I roll my eyes, taking another step forward. "No jackass. I just want to know everything." "Uh-huh. What's in it for me?" 

"Well, if I can find a cure --" ""If?" I want something real... something I can hold in my hands." "Like what?" "You're pudding." Furrowing my brows, I throw him the pudding cup, which he opens and eats with his fingers. I watch him for a few seconds, before speaking up. "I was infected last night. You?" "This morning." 

I look at him startled. "Wait a second. Then why--" "... am I further along? Don't know. This thing, it ain't math. I seen some people change fast, some change slow. But in the end... We all end up the same. We go psycho. And then we go boom." He throws the pudding cup at my feet. 

"Well, that's not -- I'm gonna fix this." I bend down to pick up the pudding cup when he grabs the chain, jumping at me. "LIAR! You and me, we're dead. We're just taking our sweet time about it. So if you were smart, you'd put a bullet in me... and then eat one yourself."

"Well it's a good thing I feel like being a dumbass, now ain't it?" I stand up turning away from him. Throwing away the old pudding cup, I grab something off the table. I turn back around and bend down to his height, holding out another pudding cup as a peace offering. He stares at it dubiously before quickly snatching it from my hands.

--

"I mean boys, it sounds like something out of "The Exorcist."" I sit in a separate room, leaning my forearms on the table. The phone is sitting on the table, on speakerphone, as I talk to Sam and Dean. "That's what I said." "So you thinking demon?" "Or kid got infected by something. You know, who knows what was in that giant, crazy fart?" "Wow. Vivid. Thanks." 

Chuckling at the boys bickering back and forth, the attention is quickly turned back to me. "Look, Brittany, I know you're flying solo." I roll my eyes lightly. "You two worry too much. You're supposed to be the kids." "We're over 30." "And I'm over 90, so yeah, you're kids. You two need to help Jenna. And if you need anything, then call me." "Will do. How are you doing? How's "Zombieland"?" "There's no Tallahassee around, which is a bummer. He cracks me up."