Court

Sooo I'm Amari and I'm terrible at my job.

I know I know, great intro right? But that's basically all there is to me. I'm a lawyer and I have been for maybe 2 years now so I'm not super experienced, I kinda just work in general stuff. I haven't won too many cases, and I'm pretty sure that if I don't win another soon I'm going to get fired from the firm I work at. I mean—I have really bad habits of running late, forgetting my words...one time I even accidentally called the wrong witness and lost my case because of it. The only reason I'm a lawyer is because my parents pushed me to, honestly I do like my job I just wish I was better at it. It's so hard these days with such a corrupted system and all these iron clad, stone-faced, ultra rich, super serious lawyers I have to go against, I get nervous in court and next to never do well enough to win! I can't stand people like that, it's like they're so much better than you and they know it, and when you talk it's like you're an ant under their magnifying glass.

Recently in court I was on the side of the defendant. What had happened was the plaintiff claimed that my client had broken her expensive bracelet which in reality it wasn't even real diamonds so it was only worth maybe $50. So she was suing for $50 for repairs of the bracelet but A WOPPING $50,000 FOR EMOTIONAL DAMAGES!! Absolute bullshit! She had come up with this whole stupid story that it was given to her by her grandmother and her grandmother was on her deathbed and told her it was in the family for a million years blah blah and then she had THE NERVE to claim that my client had snatched it out of her hands with the motive of stealing it and in the process of snatching it the bracelet was thrown across the room. The plaintiff had painted my client as an evil thief stuck on the idea of "If I can't have it, no one can." The reality of the situation was that the defendant wanted to try it on, she got permission from the plaintiff and when putting it on she accidentally dropped it. The entire case was bullshit from the start! I was extremely determined to win because of how unfair I thought the case was. 'Today is my day' I thought to myself. I had woken up early, had my coffee, I had a good sleep the night before, I was only 5 minutes late to court, I was READY! Or so I thought I was—

I made my claim and all that when it was my turn in court and I was convinced I was gonna do good this time... until I saw him...

It was the plaintiff's attorney. I was frozen solid. He was very tall and thin in a fit-sexy sort of feminine-ish way. He had dark hair and eyes the color of the ocean. He was an iron clad, stone-faced, ultra rich, super serious lawyer bitch... but a very sexy one at that. We made eye contact and suddenly I lost all my words. I was stumbling and stuttering, I dropped all my papers and spilled my water. This, after all, was not a good day for me. Of course after I was messing up everything I definitely did not win that case, but, the judge ruled that the defendant only had to pay the amount of $5,050 so I like to think I helped at least a bit. After that I just wanted to lay down and eat some ramen or something, I was so afraid I was going to be fired after that awful day. After court I headed quickly to the lobby to just sit down and relax for a moment before heading home. I sat down and just took some deep breaths with my eyes closed. Then I heard a very familiar deep sexy voice say to me, "What are you doing? Meditating? That's a bit of an odd thing to do in a court house lobby."

I opened my eyes and I saw him, Mr. iron clad, stone-faced, ultra rich, super serious lawyer man. "Wha-?" Was the only thing I could get out.

"I apologize, did I startle you? I just needed to speak to you for a moment." He said.

"Why?"

"Well you see... out of 57,000 lawyers in this state I happen to be one of the best. I've never ever lost a case before nor have I ever had my client denied the full amount of their claim. I suppose you can imagine my confusion and dissatisfaction with todays trial, yes?"

"What's that gotta do with me?"

"Well I'd expect my only downfall to be at the fault of an attorney with at least an equal skill level to mine however—you seem to be far below that... frankly it just doesn't make any sense."

"Did you really just come over here to insult me?"

"No no... let me finish. The puzzling events through today have just been racing around in my mind for I just must know the answer to why I failed today. Now the answer has come to me. If you are a terrible naive lawyer with little to no experience it means that your skills alone could have never beat me, yes? So it means that I, myself, must be the issue. I wasn't my best self today, I was caught off guard and unable to perform at top capacity. The reason was you, the moment we made eye contact in court my mind got dizzy and I couldn't concentrate. That is because you're the most attractive man I've ever seen in my life. You ask the reason why I came over and spoke to you? I wanted to ask you on a date. Something about you seems just... special. So won't you join me Friday for dinner?"

"That has got to be the oddest way I've ever been asked out before." I said, absolutely stunned out of my mind.

"Well, what is your answer?"

"Y-Yes"